Replacements for overused literary phrases

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Replacements for overused literary phrases

Post by nfdaniel85 »

We all know "once upon a time" is a pretty classic literary phrase. How about, "I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding" or, my personal favorite, "spots danced behind my eyes"?

I thought after reading my last book that I cannot be the only one who notices those terms transcend boundaries in the book world.

Maybe we could come up with some other good options? Like, "I finlly let out a breath I knew I was holding" :lol2: or, more seriously, "the gray faded from my vision".

I'm not complaining, all my favorite authors use the same terms and I still love them, I just want to maybe help them and not feel like I'm the only crazy one.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I feel like I've read anything describing facial expressions or laughs a million times. "He cocked an eyebrow." "They laughed easily." "She smiled from ear to ear." It's difficult to describe emotions on a face, so I get it, but I honestly think there's so much cliche in them because people these days write fiction like they're watching a movie.
WingTaken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wingtaken.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by WingTaken »

Yeah, I totally get what you mean, I noticed those reappearing expressions too.
I think the problem is that we read them so often that when we try to write, we automatically put them to paper because they spring to mind so quickly.
The only solution I have discovered so far is to just develop your own writing voice. As soon as I find that (and it's not always easy to find), the flow picks me up and my brain kicks down those confining expressions, eager to find new ways to describe scenes and characters. Sometimes, it can help to try writing in a different place, or just in your second language (if you have one), or to approach a scene from a different angle.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I am fascinated by the phrase 'pricked up his ears', not so much from a purely linguistic view as because I once read that some humans, but a constantly dwindling number actually can waggle their ears, and the demise of this skill is an example of evolution in action. On reflection maybe I should get out more :oops:
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Writing Discussion”