Writing Dating Advice Guide.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Denv12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Writing Dating Advice Guide.

Post by Denv12 »

During the last year I started thinking about writing a book.Of all topics to write about I thought about and did start writing dating advice for men and women.I did think about a book just for men. Since then I've been adding to it as I think of more topics to cover.I'm please with what I have written so far.I keep thinking of more to add to it.There are so many topics that need to be covered. I dont want to write just another dating book.Its got to be better than that.

I want to add my story.How I realised I needed help,found that help and now I can help others.So,where in the book should my story go? Should it be included as part of the introduction?

You're welcome to suggest topics too.

Thanks for your help.
Samagolegifte

Post by Samagolegifte »

Dating is easy but hard to handle.with it it affects human psychology when many problems come in .I encourage one to know when you are touching the button of dating. It draws you completely close that person you love ,increases expenditure and when you posses a family neglect of your family can occur.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Thanks for the suggestion.
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

You need to find a way to stand apart from the bulk of the tacky and sleazy "10 ways to make girls fall for you" style books. If it were me, I'd find 5-8 key themes, spend a chapter on each, and use real stories from different people's experiences to help build your point. You can put parts from your story into the relevant sections to show how your experience confirms the points you're trying to make.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

It depends on how you want to present it, for example as a serious self-help book or a more humorous one. If you're going to talk about your own dating life, whether it's been full of successes or failure after failure, you can sprinkle in anecdotes and work up to telling the whole story either way.

I think if it's in your introduction it can be tricky because you want the reader to trust you as they read on. Writing about your own turning point I'd say wouldn't serve the book well in the intro unless you work back to it throughout the book at least a few times, so the reader knows it's someone relatable that they're reading all this advice from.

Curious to know if you'll base the advice in the book purely on your own experiences and observations or you'll include those of your friends, family, etc. All the best with this, it's the kind of book all of us need at some point I suspect, so go for it! :D
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
kegoffeney
Currently Reading: Elastic Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kegoffeney.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by kegoffeney »

Going off of what victorycoffee mentioned earlier, there are a lot of books (for men and women) that take the "this is how to make women/men fall for you," when the truth about dating is generally much more complicated (putting that anthro degree to good use here!)

I think it'd be very interesting to see a dating book, for either gender, that unpacks the societal expectations of dating (think of all the inaccurate and often harmful stereotypes out there about how men and women approach relationships, sex, etc.) and provides useful, actionable tips about how to get around all of that noise to meaningfully connect with another human being.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

victorycoffee wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 21:15 You need to find a way to stand apart from the bulk of the tacky and sleazy "10 ways to make girls fall for you" style books. If it were me, I'd find 5-8 key themes, spend a chapter on each, and use real stories from different people's experiences to help build your point. You can put parts from your story into the relevant sections to show how your experience confirms the points you're trying to make.
Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for your perfect suggestions. You're right on the money there.I understand how your suggestion can improve such a book.

I do want to be the genuine advice giver.I know I'm on the right track there.

Thanks again.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

kegoffeney wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 14:43
I think it'd be very interesting to see a dating book, for either gender, that unpacks the societal expectations of dating (think of all the inaccurate and often harmful stereotypes out there about how men and women approach relationships, sex, etc.) and provides useful, actionable tips about how to get around all of that noise to meaningfully connect with another human being.
Thank you.
I'm glad I've been encouraged to focus on a genuine book giving real advice.I found it comforting as I read it through at times. I like all the suggestions. I'm so pleased that I'm on the right track.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Just an update on the book so far. I'm still writing the book. It's had a name change for a start.I found a much better title that is more accurate. I'm very pleased that I changed the title. Losing the word "dating" improved the title. I don't have writer's block. I keep coming up with more topics to add. The big news today. I copied and pasted the book on to a fresh blank document. I retitled the copy so this copy is specifically for men only. Then I went through the book and edited anything where appropriate so it would a book just for men. Surprisingly,it didn't take much time to do that. I figured I had my work cut out for that. I wanted to see whether writing a book just for men was a preferred option. I'll keep reading through both versions and adding to them accordingly.

Return to “Writing Discussion”