What do you use?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

What do you use?

Post by lorenicole »

I currently have an old laptop and am looking into finding something just for writing. I'd like something with a keyboard. What do you have and use for your writing? Pros? Cons?
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suetropez »

I have a cheap laptop that I use for writing and storing ideas for future books. I also use journals to keep track of ideas for plots, character traits, or ideas on what I want to research to use in a book. I will jot some things down on multiple post it notes and then laugh at myself because I forgot what I was using those notes for. The drawback to using paper and pen is that I have to enter it in a document on the computer, so no matter what, I have to use the laptop. I find jump drives to be extremely convenient and I carry one with me everywhere I go, just in case I get bored or have an epiphany, then I am ready to act on it without have to jot it down on paper to translate later.
Aisha91
Favorite Book: Incognito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha91.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aisha91 »

Well I use my laptop and mobile notes for my writing. Rough notes need to be written in mobile and a proper write up is done on laptop. While reading any sort of stuff I jot down words or phrases I like the most in my mobile notes and use them for future reference. I keep my stuff online for easy access by emailing latest version of my write up on time to time basis and If I fail to do so I remote access my laptop using teamviewer.
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Post by lorenicole »

I was trying to get ideas about specific tablet or laptop brands and models ;)
Aisha91
Favorite Book: Incognito
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha91.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aisha91 »

Ohh, Got your point. Well, for a professional write up, I will suggest surface tab by microsoft with windows 10. It does come with a keyboard. Its a high end! Then there is slatebook x2 by hp and lenovo thinkpad tablets. In short, for write up any type of tab with 3 GB ram would do the job. You can connect keyboard with any tab.
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suetropez »

So are jump drives too outdated? Since any software or application can be hacked, I am worried about hackers stealing my idea before I get it registered. Does that not bother some of you?
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I've weirdly found that it's actually very useful to have a tablet or iPad with a keyboard to write with. If you've got a large enough memory on it (and I don't even think this is 100% necessary) it's a really effective way to write and keep everything in one place. Plus, you can write basically anywhere since it's super compact and easy to carry with you, unlike a laptop. I've had a lot of success with it myself.
authorswrite
Currently Reading: From Hill Town to Strieby

Post by authorswrite »

I use a MacBook Pro. It is easy to learn and I don't have to worry about viruses. I have tried other brands. But since going with Mac, I will never go back. :-) Seriously, I am sure you have probably already made a move since your post was written in December, but maybe next time you will consider Mac if you haven't already.
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

I can't type comfortably on anything that isn't a keyboard, not even a tablet. Then again, I would be using a computer anyway since I do most of my other projects on it.
I don't like apple either, fight me. (JK)
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I do my writing on an HP laptop running (ugh) Windows 10. If I'm out somewhere, or can't sleep, I'll do a little work on my phone. JotterPad is a pretty nice little writing app for that, and it syncs with my Dropbox account, so everything is accessible between the phone and the computer.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I use my laptop that I keep completely disconnected from the internet so as not get easily distracted when I'm writing. Pros, that there's no internet on that laptop. :lol: Cons, I easily tend to hit writer's block for some reason with that laptop. I'm not sure why. :?
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I have written a book in a notebook before writing on my laptop. Now I just use an old phone with an app.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I write poetry with pen and paper.
I write fiction with my mac on a wireless keyboard.
I start nonfiction in a notebook.
To be honest though I miss my laptop, I'm thinking maybe something small and older would be nice. Doesn't even need to have the internet set up. That might work even better.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I have a laptop, but I use Google Drive that way I have access on all of my devices. I like being able to write anytime something sparks inspiration.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I just use a laptop. I currently have an Asus that's done well. Though I usually write things out in a notebook first, then move to typing it up and editing as I go. What I'd love is that Sony writing tablet I saw on display at the Sony building in Tokyo. It was AWESOME, but so, so expensive. One day!
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Return to “Writing Discussion”