What do you think of blogs?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

What do you think of blogs?

Post by Scott »

What do you think of blogs? Do you think they are a good form of writing? Do you read any blogs?

I like that blogs allow anyone to start writing. Anyone can have a blog, and it does not take a lot of time everyday.

This is different to old forms of writing. Generally, a person wouldn't write unless they could be one of the very few who get approved by a publisher for a book, or get hired by a magazine, newspaper or such.

What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
sleepydumpling
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sleepydumpling »

I think blogs are a brilliant way for a writer to hone their craft. A lot of writers never get their stuff read, nor do they get any feedback. Blogs are a great way to do that.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

kaytie

Post by kaytie »

I like blogs as a form of communication. Though they aren't as personal as letters, and most are not as carefully crafted as traditionally published articles, they allow people a creative outlet.

I keep mine to entertain myself, and if I amuse others at the same time, yay for me!
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

What about stuff you write in a blog that may later on be stolen by someone else that may use it and profit from it? Are there laws protecting what you write in a blog?
My name? Why, just call me God - God the embryo.
Kari

Post by Kari »

In the UK, by law anything that you write is copyright you. There's no need to do anything else. You wrote it; it's yours.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

It's the same here in Australia.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Lyn

Post by Lyn »

What do you mean, anything you write in a blog is yours? How can you prove it if you had to? I'm sorry if they sound like stupid questions; I'm not too familiar with blogs.
My name? Why, just call me God - God the embryo.
Kari

Post by Kari »

I guess that proof would be that it appeared on your blog at that date and time, therefore if it appeared anywhere else following that date and time then the likelihood is it's been copied.
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

Anyone can start a blog but it can be hard to get a lot of blog readers.
tranquilizer

Post by tranquilizer »

To inexperienced web users, blogs can be confusing and annoying. Back when I didn't use the internet so much, I hated blogs and preferred the simple layout of a nicely designed website. Now however, I find blogs very useful sources of information. :D

Return to “Writing Discussion”