Parental Guidance

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Parental Guidance

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

This isn't about what you might think, but didn't know how else to title it. For the first time I'm doing a third person children's story - aimed at older children but not really young adults (I know these things are arbitary - let's say VERY roughly 10-13 year olds) and am having trouble with how to refer to my young protagonists' parents. To say 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' or even 'Mum' and 'Dad' comes over as a bit childish for this age group, but using first names doesn't quite work either (and is potentially confusing) and saying Mr or Mrs whatever seems stilted. Is this why so many children's books are about orphans :) Any advice or opinions much appreciated.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

What I find happens to kids when they reach that age, including myself once upon a time, is to use different words. When addressing parents in public or around friends, I would say "Mom", but when alone or around family I said "Mummy". Try giving your character a similar way of dealing with their mixed mindset.
Lincolnshirelass

Thanks a lot for the advice, but I was thinking more of the third person, as in 'When Jane told her story she realised that Mum/Mrs Jones/Anne was finding it hard to believe.

Mahatma Gandhi
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

It would seem most natural to say "her mum." I find that when I'm reading and the author has used another title, I forget that it's the parent. Make sense?
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Are your audience and your characters British?

-- 14 Nov 2017, 23:07 --

Are your audience and your characters British?
Lincolnshirelass

Mainly but not exclusively.

Mahatma Gandhi
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

Could you say "her mother/her father" instead?
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Well, it seems childish, but that's because kids that age are just that - kids. Some people call their parents mummy and daddy forever, right? It just depends what you think the kids you're writing about feel. If you think they'd feel too old to call their parents a certain way, maybe you could work that into their character - a want to call their parents by first names and therein feel more mature :)
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Lincolnshirelass

@Whippet - why, thank you, perhaps I can feel a story coming on there! Actually, when I was around 8 or 9 I decided just to be 'rebellious' I would address my parents by their given names, and when they were perfectly okay about it and said, 'that's fine, if you want to,' it suddenly lost its appeal!

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Writing Discussion”