To avoid or not avoid: The Backstory

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Re: To avoid or not avoid: The Backstory

Post by Helen_Combe »

I like a backstory that comes out gradually. I hate it when books begin with a massive exposition to tell you what’s going on. I prefer not having a clue what’s going on and piecing it together as I go.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Tangier1
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Tangier1 »

I'm going to use the tool of backstory in my novel. I am hoping though that sometimes I can lean heavy on context like perhaps what the person does for a living or where they live which may influence the reader. If I have a character who is twenty something but works with his dad fishing and lives on a very small island that doesn't even have automobiles or a hospital does that help me towards backstory without being to elaborate?

Return to “Writing Discussion”