Can you base characters on yourself? Memorable characters?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Re: Can you base characters on yourself? Memorable characters?

Post by Morgan Jones »

there will always be a little bit of yourseld in every character your write. Whether a side of you that you show publicly, or a private side no one really knows about. It's what makes an author relatable and how readers could connect with you. It also brings realistic depth to your characters and storyline.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

Usually it's an accident; I'll be writing a character and then I become the character and the story becomes my life.
Often people base their characters based on who they want to be, and these are generally bad because while most people avoid Mary-Sue characters, it's also rare for somebody to write a character that's properly flawed. Usually their flaw is 'caring too much', 'being a perfectionist', 'vulnerability', 'moodiness'. 'anti-conformism' or such like, which is unrealistic. Nobody keeps their flaws in their characters. Nobody makes a good-guy character whose flaw is selfishness since Wuthering Heights. There aren't nearly enough good-guy characters who have uncontrollable rage, or bad-guy characters who are caring and loyal. If it's too easy to sort a character into 'Good' and 'Bad', then it's a badly written character in my opinion.
And if you're basing a character on an idealistic version of you, then it'll be easy to sort it into 'Good' because you want to be a good person.
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

Building on my last post, I think the reason people find it so hard to give people proper flaws is because they grow attached to them. They write as one person, they spend so much time developing them...so they want readers to love their characters as much as they do, and that's unlikely if the protagonist is immature, insane, or rude, even if they are still basically a good person.
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

if you are an unique person, what is wrong in adopting yourself into the character. I think taking one's self as the story character will make the work easy because the author can exactly say what he might do in the situations which occur in the fiction
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”