What genre and audience do you like to write for?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

What genre and audience do you like to write for?

Post by Amagine »

Most writers have a genre that they are drawn to. For me those genres have always been children's and middle grade contemporary. I love writing for a younger audience because I feel like I can connect with them more than an adult audience. I like writing contemporary because I like stories that are realistic and not consumed by fantasy.

What about you? What genres and age group do you like to write for? What draws you to that particular genre and audience?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I believe in ideas rather than genres. So when I get an idea that I am excited about, I don't mind what genre it belongs to because broad;y, it belongs to the genre of "a story told via narration and received by reading" and technically, this "genre" has a large audience (which are readers). So I don't really pay attention to the genre as I let the idea morph itself into the lands it belongs to. However, once that idea morphs into one of the existing genres, I believe it is important to pay attention to the audience as a tribute to respecting the interesting of the members who belong to that genre. However, I believe we all having something together in common, we all as humans, so I tend to write for that common humanitarian aspect.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I like your concept of just writing an idea and seeing what genre it morphs into. I sometimes do that and that's how I discovered that I like writing contemporary. Also, when I tried writing for adults, it always came off as a book for teenagers. It's amazing how writers aren't always in control of what they're writing or who they're writing for.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Doaa Wael

Post by Doaa Wael »

Amagine wrote:I like your concept of just writing an idea and seeing what genre it morphs into. I sometimes do that and that's how I discovered that I like writing contemporary. Also, when I tried writing for adults, it always came off as a book for teenagers. It's amazing how writers aren't always in control of what they're writing or who they're writing for.
Thank you for sharing your insights! It was a pleasure to read :)
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I would love to write for an audience which has a good sense of humor.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Amagine

Post by Amagine »

BoyLazy wrote:I would love to write for an audience which has a good sense of humor.
That sounds like a fun idea! People love to laugh and if you can write a book that does that then you will gain many loyal fans and readers.

Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I have never written a book, but it is my dream to accomplish that one day. When I do, I will most likely write for the intermediate level. Maybe about ages 9-14.
Doaa Wael

Post by Doaa Wael »

Mindi wrote:I have never written a book, but it is my dream to accomplish that one day. When I do, I will most likely write for the intermediate level. Maybe about ages 9-14.
Hi mindi, i hope you achieve your dream! You could also consider writing short stories and create a book that is a collection of short stories. Create a writing plan, create your book outline and start writing. Consistent habits is what makes dreams become reality :)
Last edited by Doaa Wael on 01 Oct 2017, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Mindi wrote:I have never written a book, but it is my dream to accomplish that one day. When I do, I will most likely write for the intermediate level. Maybe about ages 9-14.
I hope you accomplish your dream as well! Also, it seems you want to write middle grade books. We share that in common. :D

BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Wow that age is interesting. Can't be too violent and neither can you be too innocent. The mix and choice of words would be critical.
Boy Lazy

Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

Doaa Wael wrote:
Hi mindi, i hope you achieve your dream! This page count is perfect for some non-fiction e-books. You could also consider writing short stories and create a book that is a collection of short stories. Create a writing plan, create your book outline and start writing. Consistent habits is what makes dreams become reality :)
Thanks for the encouragement! It's definitely my passion!

-- 01 Oct 2017, 14:00 --
Amagine wrote:
I hope you accomplish your dream as well! Also, it seems you want to write middle grade books. We share that in common. :D
That's the age level of books that seemed to inspire me the most when I read them growing up!

-- 01 Oct 2017, 14:01 --
BoyLazy wrote:
Wow that age is interesting. Can't be too violent and neither can you be too innocent. The mix and choice of words would be critical.
It will definitely be a challenge! I hope to achieve it, though!
Arthur Muthee
Currently Reading: One Last Lie
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-muthee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arthur Muthee »

I am a multidisciplinary writer with an inherent love and aptitude for history, am comfortable writing any genre to any audience. However I prefer historical works and poetry.
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Arthur Muthee wrote:I am a multidisciplinary writer with an inherent love and aptitude for history, am comfortable writing any genre to any audience. However I prefer historical works and poetry.
I like poetry writers. They have to be gifted with words. It needs a different level of thought and vocabulary. Respect for you sir.
Boy Lazy

Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I will go for nonfiction genres targeted at the adult population.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Gifty Naa Akushia wrote:I will go for nonfiction genres targeted at the adult population.
I would read such a book.. i like this genre.
Boy Lazy

Return to “Writing Discussion”