Writing to Your Passion or The Market?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
keep.walking
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by keep.walking »

I guess you will do great if you are passionate into writting for the market.

Otherwise, you must chose if you are writting to sell or writting for hobby.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

That means both will do right?
keep.walking

Post by keep.walking »

Yep... If you can acomplish to have both, then you are fine.

However it is not an easy thing to put your heart on every work you do, still, IF you can do that, you are what I would call a Writter for the Market.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

But its never possible, or is it?
keep.walking

Post by keep.walking »

Perrywinkle47 wrote:But its never possible, or is it?
I wouldnt say never. I would say hard. You must really love writting to the public, thinking on what people would like to read. If you like to do that, then you can have passion on writting even if you are doing it for the market.

Got it?

My point of view.
parul1234

Post by parul1234 »

market ofcourse .... but some time u must follow ur passion
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

If you're writing to your passion you will be read only by those who share your passion.
ResearchScholar

Post by ResearchScholar »

patrickt wrote:If you're writing to your passion you will be read only by those who share your passion.
For this reason most people would be well-advised to view being published as an author as an intellectual and cathartic exercise, and not a money-making proposition. If they start off with that premise they would find their venture both satisfying and fulfilling.
Sweetrustedchild

Post by Sweetrustedchild »

why does it have to be one or the other. rarely is anthing that black nd white. so i say both
ResearchScholar

Post by ResearchScholar »

Assuming 100 authors attempt to write to their passion and to the market, how many would actually achieve a measure of success ? Perhaps one ? Maybe two ? But the few who succeed should be admired for latching onto an idea that had been germinating in their psyche well ahead of others.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

regulozapata wrote:Writing to Your Passion or The Market?

As a Writer/Author What should a writer choose…Passion or Market? Specifically - Should a writer write about his or her passion, or first determine what topic is currently hot and write to that audience? How about both!

What do you Think! Give me your Thoughts & Ideas!
First it's a good idea to be sure of what your passion is. Sometimes, one has many passions. You may like many genres at the same time. It's a good idea to check market too and then write about the passion that's more marketable as you do want to make some money off the book too! Writing for passion is possible these days as you can join forums and blogs and let it all out on cyberspace for free.

To sell a book, one does have to market it a bit. If the passion is not in fashion, at least one can write it using the latest writing style to improve its sale.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
ShoppingMonk

Post by ShoppingMonk »

Mostly all the famous writers are to be passion only.......
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html

Post by asmaahsan »

ShoppingMonk wrote:Mostly all the famous writers are to be passion only.......
And most died bankrupt and were discovered after their death. These days it's a better idea to earn some money off the writings too, or have another job on the side that pays so you can write for passion. Just being practical here. :)
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
yvetteyoungkim
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvetteyoungkim.html

Post by yvetteyoungkim »

I would say, write about your passion. What becomes of you if you write with empty feelings.
LadyStardust
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Shining
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by LadyStardust »

Passion, always.

Writing, for me, is borne from passion. It's the reason I couldn't stomach creative writing classes - being forced to write something because someone else told me to, and then receiving critiques on said work. If you don't feel invested in and passionate about the work, how can you handle/utilize criticism? You're no longer a creative vessel at that point. You're a writer, but you're not a creator.

Sure, there is something to be said for "writing for the market", but as a reader I know just how many "markets" there are. My writing fits into a market, and while it may not be an instant moneymaking success, I'd rather put out a creative work I'm proud of than a flat piece of work I hope will make me cash.

And patrickt, I strongly disagree that by writing to your passion, you will only be read by those who share your passion. Passion is infectious.
"An invincible determination can accomplish almost anything and in this lies the great distinction between great men and little men." ~ Thomas Fuller

Return to “Writing Discussion”