Writing to Your Passion or The Market?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Writing to Your Passion or The Market?

Post by AliceRose »

I try and write about all different sorts of things. But honestly, I think if you're writing something you're passionate about, you would do a better job. There's nothing worse than reading something that sounds forced; I think you can tell if an author really cares about their subject matter or not.

Saying that, I think it's a good idea to practice in all different genres. If there's one area you enjoy writing about more than others, that's the one that you would want to sell. But I do enjoy giving everything a try - even if the end product turns out bad!
AmandaT

Post by AmandaT »

It probably depends on how much money you are hoping to make. If your passion is not interesting to most readers then you should still write about it but just accept that you won't make much money from it.
wedgwood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wedgwood.html

Post by wedgwood »

I'd say passion. Most people say write for the market but some of the best selling authors are those who wrote what they wanted to write and then just sent it out to see if there's a market for it. True creativity, in my book.
DJWritingWolf

Post by DJWritingWolf »

My answer is inbetween passion and the market, I LOVE to write my fictional stories and novels, but I also would love to earn a few bucks from my efforts. I have many worlds to explore in the depths of my mind, and I am always looking around for inspiration for new ideas, such as watching fantasy films and learning from them to start off a new adventure.
Zain
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain.html

Post by Zain »

I think that entirely depends on your goals; do you want to be an author, or do you want to write books? While both may seem the same, they differ in focus. Is it the appeal of calling yourself a writer or the work itself that you seek? I don't think there's a wrong answer, simply two kinds of motivation. If you're good, there's a high chance you'll get published. If you aren't, either you get lucky and find a publisher or not. While mainstream gets you a higher chance at publishing, it surely doesn't guarantee people will buy your book. You got much more competition. I doubt it really matters in the end - passion and market don't have to be opposing sides, and everything has a downside. To end this rant on a good note - everything does have an upside as well.
Personally, I write whatever idea comes to my mind. If the idea is worth a try, I attempt to make something out of it. And likewise, I think that if a story is worth a try whether it's of your preferred genre and themes or not, people will give it a chance. Bit of a naive attitude, maybe, but I muddle through.
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Post by Enigma »

Gosh if I wrote for the market I might make some money. Lol I write for passion always have always will. One day l'll find my audience. :-)
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
KattPascale
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Letters to Sam
Currently Reading: In A Small Town
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kattpascale.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by KattPascale »

How often to passion and market mate perfectly? I think passion can MAKE a market if its good enough ;)
Kat Pascale
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
scuba_steves
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: The Fiery Cross - Diana Gabaldon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scuba-steves.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by scuba_steves »

Write what you love. After all, what joy is there in writing if it isn't something you want to read? Plus, as so many agents tweet on Twitter (yes, I know....), the market changes. So, you might write about vampires and werewolves now, but maybe by the time your book is done and out to agents/self-pubbed, the market will have moved on to princesses and ogres. :)
srivolco
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Kane and Abel
Currently Reading: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the fallen
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srivolco.html
Latest Review: "The Chosen of Ky'kias" by K.S. Lewis
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by srivolco »

Before we go into figuring out whether one should write to address their passion or the market, the basic question of why you want to write has to be answered. If you write for yourself and commercial success is secondary then you need not take market into consideration. But if you wish to garner a commercial success then you most definitely need to incorporate your passion with what the market wants. For without passion for what you write you will never give it your best and without considering what the market wants even your best will always fall short !
Cheers ,
Srivolco !!
Latest Review: "The Chosen of Ky'kias" by K.S. Lewis
aaronhattle
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaronhattle.html
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White

Post by aaronhattle »

Combine the two! Write about passion in a romance novel! They go great on the market.
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

I often find myself writing for the market, but whenever I can I blend the two as much as possible.
MassimoMarino
Favorite Author: Asimov King Bradbury
Favorite Book: The one I read at the moment

Post by MassimoMarino »

I don't know if it is passion or rather an urge. Writing is like a wound that never heals... and a story oozes out of it. That one story rarely cares about the market but if it is well narrated and well written it will find its readers.
whybark
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whybark.html

Post by whybark »

Passion
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I suppose that if I'm starting out, I would write to the market but if I've already established a following then I would write to my passion. Best case scenario though would be to write to the market but come up with a storyline that you're passionate about. Find a way to blend both together. If you're writing for the market and it's not what you want to write, your readers will be able to feel it.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I began my trilogy because I'd been wanting to write it for absolutely years, so I suppose my answer is that I write to my passion. When I first got the idea for my books, very little fiction covered the period of history I'd set my mind on doing. But by the time I eventually had the opportunity to write, there were several, similarly themed books/series on the market. Whether or not that's a good thing for me, I've yet to see.

Return to “Writing Discussion”