Writing to Your Passion or The Market?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
regulozapata
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by regulozapata »

As a Writer/Author What should a writer choose…Passion or Market? Specifically - Should a writer write about his or her passion, or first determine what topic is currently hot and write to that audience? How about both!

What do you Think! Give me your Thoughts & Ideas!
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

The ideological answer is passion every time. Nevertheless, there are authors who write for the market who achieve success. Yet I would say that only those who write their passion have their books outlive them.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
Moore

Post by Moore »

Everything depends on the writer and on his personality. Some people write only for market and they don't care for passion mostly and they get their part of fame. But those who write for passion they have nothing to live on, but they are happy as they write what they want. So the choice here is that - if you want your family to die from hunger, then do what you like or overcome yourself.
cameron333

Post by cameron333 »

If it is your passion that you write with than it is inevitably going to be much "deeper" and overall just better than the trend-driven books. Besides, trying something new may start a new trend.
dragoncub

Post by dragoncub »

regulozapata wrote:Writing to Your Passion or The Market?

As a Writer/Author What should a writer choose…Passion or Market? Specifically - Should a writer write about his or her passion, or first determine what topic is currently hot and write to that audience? How about both!

What do you Think! Give me your Thoughts & Ideas!
Well, the best thing is both "Passion" & "Market".. People read books on many topics and its useful when author writes his/her passion, because it becomes more interesting. :wink:
tinyViolin

Post by tinyViolin »

I agree with the above. Passion will get you through.

I'm about to sound like a complete ___, but here goes:

Passion alone won't ensure that you write a good book, or even a better book than the latest chick lit flick. It just won't. Before I make myself into a hypocrite, it won't ensure it because having "passion" doesn't mean having "critical awareness". You have to know what's good and what's not. And you have to care. Passionately.

As for the market, my favorite author to hold up about this is Cormac McCarthy. He's achieved mega-success, of Mega-ness, and he barely cares about the market. He's a brilliant writer. "Brilliant", used completely straight.
AdamWest

Post by AdamWest »

My 2 cents: your passion is hte right answer always
ResearchScholar

Post by ResearchScholar »

Writing for passion means letting your hair down. You may be ready for the world, but will the world be ready for you? Channeling passion into elegant writing and writing intelligently may be the right balance for most writers. Only after great success is achieved than throwing caution to the wind becomes a viable option because your fan base will still be there.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

It has to be passion but you have to make sure that your passion would be appreciated before getting started. That's the key I guess.
Career Novelist

Post by Career Novelist »

Passion of course, unless you want to get published, in which case to the market. But then again, writing to the market turns writing into a job so blend the two of them. That's my final answer.

I've been writing for 17 years and before I was published I tried to write for the market until I finally got fed up and said, f*ck it, I'm going to write a story that will blow their minds. So I wrote a gruesome horror story for a short story contest at Writers' Journal with beheadings and violence and a dark history of Halloween, and wouldn't you know it, they published it. Imagine my surprise.

If you're writing for publication, I believe you have to write to the interests of the market, but within that context, you must write with passion because the reader can feel otherwise, or in this case, the literary agent you're submitting it to.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Whats the name of your book? I would like to read it..
Career Novelist

Perrywinkle47, I just finished an eBook titled "6 Figure Novel Submissions: The Final Word on Query Letters, Synopses and Sample Pages"-based on years of research-and I am in the final stages of setting up the automated delivery system on my website.

Also, I just got my recently completed second novel back from my reading group and have finished the final edits; I'm finishing writing the synopsis I will be sending in to literary agents (query letter is all done!). The book is titled "Fetish: A Tale of Love and Social Debauchery" and it is about a twenty-three year old high-fashion shoe salesman with a foot fetish." The book is a dark comedy, and it was the absolute most fun I've ever had writing a book. Not knowing anything about foot fetishes, I was shocked to find that it is searched on Google 450,000 times/month and continues to be the number one searched fetish today.

This is also a love story, but I got so tired of reading the formulaic love stories, or having characters fall in love in a few pages (vomit!!!) that I wrote something completely different and unique. This is not a book I would tell my grandma about, and in all likelihood I will use a pseudonym. Advance readings are extremely encouraging so I feel optimistic! We'll see!

Have you written anything?
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Career Novelist wrote:Perrywinkle47, I just finished an eBook titled "6 Figure Novel Submissions: The Final Word on Query Letters, Synopses and Sample Pages"-based on years of research-and I am in the final stages of setting up the automated delivery system on my website.

Also, I just got my recently completed second novel back from my reading group and have finished the final edits; I'm finishing writing the synopsis I will be sending in to literary agents (query letter is all done!). The book is titled "Fetish: A Tale of Love and Social Debauchery" and it is about a twenty-three year old high-fashion shoe salesman with a foot fetish." The book is a dark comedy, and it was the absolute most fun I've ever had writing a book. Not knowing anything about foot fetishes, I was shocked to find that it is searched on Google 450,000 times/month and continues to be the number one searched fetish today.

This is also a love story, but I got so tired of reading the formulaic love stories, or having characters fall in love in a few pages (vomit!!!) that I wrote something completely different and unique. This is not a book I would tell my grandma about, and in all likelihood I will use a pseudonym. Advance readings are extremely encouraging so I feel optimistic! We'll see!

Have you written anything?
Wow, this is Superb! Great deal.. :)
I have to check what a foot fetish is, too.. :P
No, I have never for the sake of getting published. I would probably wait till I graduate because this whole thing is totally occupying and discouraging at the same time, if you get rejected.. Guess I don't have that much courage. lol.
Career Novelist

Perrywinkle47,

Courage comes from doing something so long the mystery is stripped clean and all you have left is the joy that got you started in the first place. If writing truly is your passion, you won't be able to stay away from it for long!
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

If you're writing for passion you should consider writing your book and then burying it in your yard. You'll have your narcistic book written and you won't have to worry about anyone reading it.

Return to “Writing Discussion”