Writing; a gift or a dysfunction ?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
kevobuda
Currently Reading: We Live in Water
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Writing; a gift or a dysfunction ?

Post by kevobuda »

Are a majority of writers gifted or social misfits who can't manage social skills ?
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Well... I could as the same of engineers, doctors, and actors I've met that excel in their field but are a bit more than quirky relational-wise.

However, I did hear a doctor say once that she met writers who were merely trying to provide therapy and mentally process for themselves through writing. It's not that far out there, but on the other hand, I don't think all great writers fit into that box.

It's also hard to say one way or the other, because how would you be able to measure "most of"? There are so many authors alive today, let alone throughout history.
Ritikadalal
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Ritikadalal »

I would definitely say it's a gift. Oh what a wonderful gift it is. The ability to express yourself and weave a story so beautiful that the reader escapes his real life and gets transported to another world, that is some very real talent.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html

Post by Angela Stripes »

Ritikadalal wrote:I would definitely say it's a gift. Oh what a wonderful gift it is. The ability to express yourself and weave a story so beautiful that the reader escapes his real life and gets transported to another world, that is some very real talent.
Truth!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Ritikadalal wrote:I would definitely say it's a gift. Oh what a wonderful gift it is. The ability to express yourself and weave a story so beautiful that the reader escapes his real life and gets transported to another world, that is some very real talent.

Agreed!

I do think that some of the things that come along with being a gifted writer can lead to some "social misfit" traits. Or at least introversion. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, I just know that my imagination takes me away from conversations frequently.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I strongly believe it's a gift. Yet, I know some people are so gifted in writing that it one way or the other affects their social skills. Yet, some have poor social skills and it improves their writing.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

More a gifted than a misfit, though today's misfit could be considered a trend setter tomorrow. We look inside to our dreams and fears or sometimes harsh reality, then do our best to express it on the outside to others.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Gift gift gift.. It's a true gift
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Yes ! Yes! I perfectly agree that reading is more of a gift than dysfunction in fact a very important gift as that. As humans we need more people with such skills.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Writing is both a blessing and a curse for the writer. When things are going great and we're making progress it's amazing. When there's a writer's block or something just not coming out the way I imagined it, then it's hell. Creatives are usually sensitive people. Personally when it comes to my writing it's either of two extremes. I'll feel extremely proud and pleased or disappointed and left feeling like I wasted my time when I could've done other things
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Writing is a gift. But by looking at lives of authors, what we see is their normal functioning has become pathological since they are absorbed too much to their writing
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I suppose this would be a matter of perspective. For me personally I think a little of both. I cannot 'not' write. I have to drain the crap that is rattling around in my head or I go crazy. Much of what comes out of me people say is gifted. I am still on the sideline about that designation. For some who happen to be able to pour prose or poetry out of their minds that other people love, it can be considered a gift, though i am not sure even that writer would say so.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think "social misfits" are more of a stereotype? My professors who teach writing courses are very sociable and not awkward at all. One of them even got on a talk show.

Return to “Writing Discussion”