Is the process of writing an activity or an obligation?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ghada TG
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghada-tg.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Is the process of writing an activity or an obligation?

Post by Ghada TG »

The process of writing is usually perceived as an artistic activity driven by muse and creativity, yet once an artist embarks on the writing journey it becomes more and more necessary for one to write rather than a luxury dependent on the mere enjoyment of the soul.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

Its an interesting work and this writing work needs responsibility
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I understand what you mean. I think we all start out as a hobby, the passion grows and we enjoy the creativity. Writing is beautiful! But, especially for those who go on to be very successful, does writing then perhaps become a bit of a chore? If you are self-published and popular I think it must then be harder to take extended breaks from writing because you need to rely on yourself for promotions and holding on to your fanbase in a sea of millions of writers and books. Those who get officially published, while they have a little more help with promotions, are also contracted to a certain amount of books a year or whatever (At least this is what I have read on). Which would make it hard to just write as a luxury whenever you want. It then has deadlines to make.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Vickyoreo86 wrote:I understand what you mean. I think we all start out as a hobby, the passion grows and we enjoy the creativity. Writing is beautiful! But, especially for those who go on to be very successful, does writing then perhaps become a bit of a chore? If you are self-published and popular I think it must then be harder to take extended breaks from writing because you need to rely on yourself for promotions and holding on to your fanbase in a sea of millions of writers and books. Those who get officially published, while they have a little more help with promotions, are also contracted to a certain amount of books a year or whatever (At least this is what I have read on). Which would make it hard to just write as a luxury whenever you want. It then has deadlines to make.
I haven't experienced being successful by writing. Writers have different advice as to writing.
For starters, no writer could ever write something good if they haven't tried writing in the first place. "Write when the inspiration strikes" is a myth in this case. In my case, my thoughts continually flow whether I write or not; my writing makes my thoughts organized. This is similar to Hannah Arendt's writing (based on an interview with her).
-rk
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

That's very true.. I've always been drawn to writing and constantly have a million thoughts whipping around my mind so the act of writing it down, make lists and organizing is calming. I rarely leave the house without a small notepad and pen because I have no clue where I will be when something pops in my head. I think it's hard for writers to give other writers solid advice, it's more of 'this felt right for me' sort of thing. It's important to be yourself. But ultimately writing is hard work... Hard work that we 90% enjoy but none the less it can be mentally straining, especially with self doubt. Career authors have it down to an art a balance of luxury and fun along with hard work and dedication and plain old putting effort is as you would do at any place of work you choose
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Vickyoreo86 wrote:That's very true.. I've always been drawn to writing and constantly have a million thoughts whipping around my mind so the act of writing it down, make lists and organizing is calming. I rarely leave the house without a small notepad and pen because I have no clue where I will be when something pops in my head. I think it's hard for writers to give other writers solid advice, it's more of 'this felt right for me' sort of thing. It's important to be yourself. But ultimately writing is hard work... Hard work that we 90% enjoy but none the less it can be mentally straining, especially with self doubt. Career authors have it down to an art a balance of luxury and fun along with hard work and dedication and plain old putting effort is as you would do at any place of work you choose
I agree. You clearly put my thoughts into words. I also bring a small notepad and pen just the same. Writing is indeed hard work, but it can be fun at times. My usual problem is to finish my own writing, whether I enjoy it or not. I kind of wish to be a career author, but I have too much in my mind right now. I guess what I can do is to at least finish my writings.
-rk
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

Writing is an interesting job.It needs dedication and responsibility.
kiamartina
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kiamartina »

Yes writing may be a hobby or a favorite passtime activity. ...but I believe a writer is obligated to express his or her thoughts especially if they are bound to inspire or encourage or even rebuke someone. ...
Keeping one's ideas and thoughts to oneself is like watching the world burn with a fire extinguisher in hand.
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

kiamartina wrote:Yes writing may be a hobby or a favorite passtime activity. ...but I believe a writer is obligated to express his or her thoughts especially if they are bound to inspire or encourage or even rebuke someone. ...
Keeping one's ideas and thoughts to oneself is like watching the world burn with a fire extinguisher in hand.
I tend to disagree that a writer is "obligated," as if he/she is required by law to write. Writing surely is a respectable profession, but writers are not slaves to their work.

Of course, I'm not saying that only certain people should write, but recognize that all of us have our own feeedom to write. We can write anytime we want. The only time we're required to write is if we require food on the table.
-rk
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I think it's an activity but once you take it as a full time job then it becomes an obligation.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Colleen0701
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleen0701.html
Latest Review: "Kennedy's Revenge" by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Colleen0701 »

Norah Jones says writing must become a habit. She's entirely correct. Even if you write rubbish, you're still writing. But walk away and you've broken the habit... :tiphat:
Some people read to live. I live to read.
Latest Review: "Kennedy's Revenge" by Stephen L Rodenbeck
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I think it's a little of bit of both and that all boils down to the writer. I believe writing should never be an obligation to anyone but the writer him or herself.

Return to “Writing Discussion”