What makes a good writer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Eric John
2017 Reading Goal: 30
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

What makes a good writer?

Post by Eric John » 05 Jul 2017, 18:39

Writing is an essential skill that needs to be developed. It will boost your readers, your viewers, your sales, your success… and your bottom line will boom as a result of you mastering this skill. But what makes a good writer?
:?:

KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks » 07 Jul 2017, 20:09

To be a writer or any type of artist you need imagination. To have others see your work you must be brave. To become good at it you must have persistence and a willingness to learn.

Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: The Zodiac Killer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Maria joraimah » 07 Jul 2017, 23:03

To cite a few methods of what makes a good writer I would say yes, you've got to have a vast imagination.

A unique way of writing to get your readers attention.

Never stop exploring and learning new techniques.

Get tips and inspiration from authors and even just from aspiring writers.

Writing should also be your passion. Loving what you do gives your work a fine result.
" Learn to SMILE behind every hardship. Life is not at all that bad! "

Eric John

Post by Eric John » 07 Jul 2017, 23:09

Thanks Crooks and Maria joraimah for your contribution. Too many writers are caught up with insecure thoughts of whether or not they are any good. It’s crazy. We are quite the neurotic bunch, aren’t we? But what if all this self-doubt was actually self-destructive?

Most people’s definitions of “good” vary. What one person loves another hates. So stop obsessing over whether or not you’re a good writer. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that you’re effective.

Look. We all know there are some bad writers out there, so if there is such a thing as a good writer, you want to be one. But in my mind, “good” is synonymous with “effective.” So let’s begin there.

What does it take? :eusa-think:

Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: The Zodiac Killer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Maria joraimah » 08 Jul 2017, 03:01

Thank you for sharing JEFF GOINS (one of the best selling authors) insights regarding this, Eric John.

We all have different ideas on what makes a "good" writer.

I think I'll put it this way, good and effective go hand in hand. It's a package.

A writer would like to be good as well as an effective one.

Welcome to OBC. :D
" Learn to SMILE behind every hardship. Life is not at all that bad! "

Penielmike
2017 Reading Goal: 18
Currently Reading: The World's Greatest Serial Killers
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Penielmike » 09 Jul 2017, 10:40

A good writer must first be an imaginative thinker.

Eric John

Post by Eric John » 09 Jul 2017, 12:47

Writing is an essential skill that needs to be developed. It will boost your readers, your viewers, your sales, your success…and your bottom line will boom as a result of you mastering this skill.

Julez
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David

Post by Julez » 12 Jul 2017, 16:19

KS Crooks wrote:To be a writer or any type of artist you need imagination. To have others see your work you must be brave. To become good at it you must have persistence and a willingness to learn.
I love this.

Eric John

Post by Eric John » 13 Jul 2017, 08:15

Thank you Julez for your contribution... The truth is, an expert writer is someone who doesn't just call themselves a writer. They do the work.

DDunstock
2017 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock » 13 Jul 2017, 11:34

Someone who continually practices and loves what they are doing. If you don't enjoy it, the reader won't, either.

JWins

Post by JWins » 13 Jul 2017, 12:18

First, I believe writers are born. Everyone can write, but not everyone is a good writer. And by good writer I envision a best seller. I think what makes a good writer is his or her harmony with the 'flow' of inspiration and the willingness to tap into it at will and utterly commission him(her)self to imprison the thoughts thereof into print medium. It takes freedom of will, an strong element/sense of absolute freedom, a truly enabling and empowering environment, very few and absolutely loyal relations, and an existence devoid of mundane worries or concerns. When these are in place, the writer is in 'zone' and can go endless hours harnessing the power of creativity to a star studded end. That's my two shillings worth of reason.

Eric John

Post by Eric John » 14 Jul 2017, 22:21

Thank you for your contribution JWins.

ButterscotchCherrie
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Le role de l'OSCE en Eurasie, du sommet de Lisbonne au Conseil ministeriel de Maastricht (1996-2003)
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: "Ten Directions" by Samuel Winburn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 19 Jul 2017, 07:03

The aspect I will focus on isn't the only answer to this question, but a lot of ground has been covered in this thread already! A good writer always conducts thorough research. I always appreciate it when an author has clearly taken the time to become accurately informed about their subject.

Shamim Bilha
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Shamim Bilha » 19 Jul 2017, 07:34

A good writer ought to be original, creative and passionate about his work.

arrows22

Post by arrows22 » 19 Jul 2017, 19:51

I think being a good writer takes more than imagination. I think you should have some talent for it. I also believe you should have a love for reading. you should love books,

Return to “Writing Discussion”