What makes a good writer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Eric John
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

What makes a good writer?

Post by Eric John »

Writing is an essential skill that needs to be developed. It will boost your readers, your viewers, your sales, your success… and your bottom line will boom as a result of you mastering this skill. But what makes a good writer?
:?:
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

To be a writer or any type of artist you need imagination. To have others see your work you must be brave. To become good at it you must have persistence and a willingness to learn.
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

To cite a few methods of what makes a good writer I would say yes, you've got to have a vast imagination.

A unique way of writing to get your readers attention.

Never stop exploring and learning new techniques.

Get tips and inspiration from authors and even just from aspiring writers.

Writing should also be your passion. Loving what you do gives your work a fine result.
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
Eric John

Post by Eric John »

Thanks Crooks and Maria joraimah for your contribution. Too many writers are caught up with insecure thoughts of whether or not they are any good. It’s crazy. We are quite the neurotic bunch, aren’t we? But what if all this self-doubt was actually self-destructive?

Most people’s definitions of “good” vary. What one person loves another hates. So stop obsessing over whether or not you’re a good writer. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that you’re effective.

Look. We all know there are some bad writers out there, so if there is such a thing as a good writer, you want to be one. But in my mind, “good” is synonymous with “effective.” So let’s begin there.

What does it take? :eusa-think:
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

Thank you for sharing JEFF GOINS (one of the best selling authors) insights regarding this, Eric John.

We all have different ideas on what makes a "good" writer.

I think I'll put it this way, good and effective go hand in hand. It's a package.

A writer would like to be good as well as an effective one.

Welcome to OBC. :D
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
Penielmike
Currently Reading: The World's Greatest Serial Killers
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Penielmike »

A good writer must first be an imaginative thinker.
Eric John

Post by Eric John »

Writing is an essential skill that needs to be developed. It will boost your readers, your viewers, your sales, your success…and your bottom line will boom as a result of you mastering this skill.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

KS Crooks wrote:To be a writer or any type of artist you need imagination. To have others see your work you must be brave. To become good at it you must have persistence and a willingness to learn.
I love this.
Eric John

Post by Eric John »

Thank you Julez for your contribution... The truth is, an expert writer is someone who doesn't just call themselves a writer. They do the work.
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

Someone who continually practices and loves what they are doing. If you don't enjoy it, the reader won't, either.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
JWins

Post by JWins »

First, I believe writers are born. Everyone can write, but not everyone is a good writer. And by good writer I envision a best seller. I think what makes a good writer is his or her harmony with the 'flow' of inspiration and the willingness to tap into it at will and utterly commission him(her)self to imprison the thoughts thereof into print medium. It takes freedom of will, an strong element/sense of absolute freedom, a truly enabling and empowering environment, very few and absolutely loyal relations, and an existence devoid of mundane worries or concerns. When these are in place, the writer is in 'zone' and can go endless hours harnessing the power of creativity to a star studded end. That's my two shillings worth of reason.
Eric John

Post by Eric John »

Thank you for your contribution JWins.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The aspect I will focus on isn't the only answer to this question, but a lot of ground has been covered in this thread already! A good writer always conducts thorough research. I always appreciate it when an author has clearly taken the time to become accurately informed about their subject.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Shamim Bilha
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Shamim Bilha »

A good writer ought to be original, creative and passionate about his work.
arrows22
Currently Reading: Angels with Dirty Faces

Post by arrows22 »

I think being a good writer takes more than imagination. I think you should have some talent for it. I also believe you should have a love for reading. you should love books,

Return to “Writing Discussion”