What makes a good writer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
MoseyProse
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moseyprose.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Re: What makes a good writer?

Post by MoseyProse »

A good writer writes as much as they can, and they write about everything and anything!

A good writer also needs to be able to learn from their mistakes and grow. I'm still learning to do this part haha. I always find it so hard to take constructive criticism for my work, but I think a good writer is able to take this on board and use it to help develop themselves.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
ANDREW MBAGO
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ANDREW MBAGO »

I think to be a good writer needs discipline and self-organization.A good writer needs to be creative and have a flair with words.Perseverance and resilience are some of the qualities of a good writer.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

For me, a good writer has a way with words. Someone who can stir up strong emotions from his readers, either in a positive or negative way.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Nina Rose
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nina Rose »

A good writer has: (1) vivid description of characters and plot scenes (2) unpredictable and enlightening ideas (3) fun,interesting and intriguing way of writing
MindyW
Currently Reading: Allegiant
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by MindyW »

My imagination has always been vivid. Being able to convey that to others is a talent not all share. Story telling is this wonderful skill that can improve over time. One of the best ways to do that is to first improve your Grammar. From there, learn how others view your work by sharing it. The more open you are to corrections or suggestions, the more you can improve. I feel, as a writer, this is my greatest ability beyond that of my creative mind.

Mindy V. :tiphat:
Sherry Terry
Currently Reading: A Gentleman’s Game
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sherry Terry »

What makes a good writer for me is...

The ability to admit they still have things to learn about how to write a great story, and they are willing to learn them.
Leesajohnson

Post by Leesajohnson »

If you want to become a quality writer then it is must for you to know grammar updates with new words of English. You should write small sentences in a clear manner. It will make your content readable for all readers.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Lots of great responses above... For me, above all, the most important thing is to simply sit down and write. With all the hype around inspiration it can be easy to forget that writing is a practice. The more you practice, the better you'll become!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

A beautiful mind is what I love
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

For me I think a good writer is one who organizes his line of thoughts well and present his thought in a manner that readers can share in his vision.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Gifty Naa Akushia wrote:For me I think a good writer is one who organizes his line of thoughts well and present his thought in a manner that readers can share in his vision.
nowadays good writers need to know about publishing and promition to get some fame.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Zohaib imtiaz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib-imtiaz.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Zohaib imtiaz »

Good imagination gives birth to a good writer ;)
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

What makes a good writer? Hmmmm. I'd have to say an imagination and the ability to captivate others with how well you bring it across in writing is definitely one of them. Many qualities make good writers and not all writers possess all of them. A good writer knows how to exploit their strengths and down play their weaknesses in a way that the latter appears trivial or almost non-existent in the eyes of the reader.
Philipabam

Post by Philipabam »

A good writer is one who is able to conceive a thought and bring it to live on prints. One who constantly put the reader in expectant mode and is able to meet a particular need; be it physical, emotional or spiritual. At the center of it all is creativity.
Victor Rose
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)

Post by Victor Rose »

A good writer needs more than just imagination or being born with a talent to the language arts.

Yes, a grasp of language and a good imagination is needed, but the best writers have always been great storytellers.

No matter how imaginative the story is or how exquisite the sentence structure is, no writer will be successful if his storytelling skills can't capture the reader and keep him reading to the end.

Return to “Writing Discussion”