What makes a good writer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
enemy1618
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: What makes a good writer?

Post by enemy1618 »

For me what makes you a good writer is your passion , because if you have passion on writing you will do your best to write whole heartedly, a good writer is a writer that will use others feedbacks to improve not to crashed them down, and last and definitely not the least a good writer is the one who will always look upon the positive sides and take it as an inspiration to become confident to show everyone what they got. :)
Gracenguru
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gracenguru »

One must focus on something that adds value to the target focus then be dedication to the end.
Archie Tewksbury

Post by Archie Tewksbury »

Imagination and a creative mind makes someone a good writer. The one who have a very creative mind can be a good writer
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Among other things, a good writer has to be a good editor.

You need to be able to come up with interesting characters, vivid descriptions and emotionally honest conflicts, but none of that stuff will be noticeable if you clutter up the prose with extra words or unnecessary subplots.

A writer needs to be able to examine their writing critically, figure out what its strengths are, and remove anything that detracts from it.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

I think you have to have a good imagination, passion and confidence. You had to be able to "take the road less travelled". Take risks and be able to write your heart out

-- 20 Nov 2017, 11:13 --

I think you have to have a good imagination, passion and confidence. You had to be able to "take the road less travelled". Take risks and be able to write your heart out
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I always thought that being a good writer was a gift that some were for with. But with hard work, just about anyone can improve their writing abilities. Practice makes perfect. If the reader can visualize your writing in their head like a movie then mission accomplished!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

What makes a good writer is the ability to express your message in writing, that could easily be understood by your readers.
Mpruett-09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpruett-09.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Mpruett-09 »

As previously mentioned a good writer needs to have imagination, but it's more than that. If you can't put your imagination into words then what's the point? You need to be able to put into descriptive writing what you see in your mind.

A writer needs to constantly be learning ways to improve their writing. If you begin at the basic level of writing and never improve then I ask again, what is the point of writing in the first place. One great way to learn to be a better writer is to be an avid reader. Only through reading the books of the great authors that have come before you can you truly better yourself.

There is much more that could be said on this topic by my last thought is this. A writer needs to enjoy their work, and continually be writing. Only through writing can inspiration flow, and if you don't enjoy what you do then you won't sit down and put words to paper.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

It takes practice and mentorship to become successful in what you are doing. Those who are interested in writing, at an early stage of life usually have a good start, unlike those who start late in their lives.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
RJWaugh
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: The Word Collector
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjwaugh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by RJWaugh »

I believe that a good writer is someone who can come up with new and exciting ideas while having the skills to convey these ideas and details to their audience.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Tell your personal story. Easy to write. You will be a good writer. Why? Personal Story sells. A lot of people longing for someone to imitate their success. If someone tells you how he was succeeded then who doesn't want to listen to this people.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

It's hard to define what "good" is. There are some very popular writers who I'd say weren't "good" writers. Philip K Dick springs to mind. His prose is often terrible, but his ideas, his imagination, his plots...they were wonderful. He's one of those writers whose work probably translates better into films, in some ways. Although the films always lose something over the books too.

Similarly, there are some writers universally accepted to be geniuses who very few people will ever read - high literary fiction like James Joyce and Eimear McBride. Books that are difficult to get through.

So I guess it comes down to what you like personally. But at minimum I'd say a good writer needs imagination, a love of language, to be an avid reader, and a willingness to keep writing. I agree with Mpruett-09 - you can only write through writing. It's like turning on a tap you haven't used for ages and finding the water's sludgy brown and horrible. You have to keep running the tap every day. And when it's not coming easily and you're writing crap, you have to be willing to keep slogging away at edits.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
PWA
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by PWA »

My opinion is that a good writer needs to be able to engage the reader, know what the reader wants, help them to live the action, identify with the characters. It's not possible to do that for everyone, and it's not always your own story that will strike that chord, but there needs to be emotion, colour, imagination. In short, the story needs to come alive!
suetropez

Post by suetropez »

I think being a good writer is having a great imagination, a reasonably extensive vocabulary, a comfortable way of telling a story that draws the reader into the plot or idea of the book and, leaves the reader satisfied, thoughtful, reflective and of course, wanting to read more of this author's works.
S.T. Holmes
Life is a dream, reality is what you make of it. :wine:
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

A good writer must be able to express his ideas clearly in an organised way.
Yours sincerely,
Bok48.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Writing Discussion”