Ability Swapping Contract Idea ?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Antonio94
Currently Reading: Blink
Bookshelf Size: 8

Ability Swapping Contract Idea ?

Post by Antonio94 »

This is not exactly a new story, but rather an idea.
So recently I've suddenly thought of an idea; however, I'm not sure it can be a good idea for a new novel story so I would like to share here with you guys:
The idea is, each person has his/her own talent and ability. These ability can be natural born, or acquired from excessive training. And so I was thinking of a main character who has the ability to form a contract with another person. This contract is formed between his own mind and will, and the target's true person/desire hiding inside without the target's realization. This contract allow him to take an ability from the target of his choice, in return, he will give the target an ability which he has. If the contract is forged, the abilities will be swapped and it will remain so until the conditions are fulfilled.
Take an example in real life, for example you are talented in art, drawing. You're going to have a soccer competition tomorrow, you want to win it but you haven't practiced it yet. So, you choose a person who skilled in soccer and deep down, he didn't enjoy soccer but instead he wished to be able to draw art. And so you forge a contract with his inner desire, this contract will last until you win the soccer match tomorrow. And so for 1 day, you are incredibly good at soccer but you can't no longer draw, while your target can draw but he can't play soccer skillfully as he used to. When you win the soccer match, the contract is fulfilled and everything's back to normal.
It's kinda a bit complicated but that's what I suddenly thought. Can it be a good idea for a psychological/mystery story?
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

A person would need to know their own true desire- often people don't know or they lie to themselves. A person would also need discover the true desires of other people. The second part is extremely difficult under normal circumstances, let alone if people know that someone could steal their ability. This could cause people to be more closed off and not express anything about how they feel or desire.
What might happen is a market is created, where people work at something for a period of time and then sell the ability transfer for a price. I might practice long distance running for a month and then sell you the skill to allow you to have better endurance in your championship soccer match.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Something like Marvel. I have seen this ability swapping in Fantastic four 2 movie as well. It is a good idea but you may have to write more on human thoughts and nature, which in my opinion is quite a difficult task. Anyway good luck with your work
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”