That One Word

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

That One Word

Post by Randomgold »

Spelling. Ah, Spelling. It should be so easy for writers, shouldn't it? We have a way with words, so we should be able to learn how to spell difficult words. Maybe not right away, but with time, no word should be beyond our ability to spell. At least, that's the way it should be, right?

So why is it that there is just one single word that always gets that red squiggle under it, no matter how many times I use it? It's not a difficult or rare word, but I always seem to fail it. :doh:

Am I alone in this? Is there a single word that forever eludes your ability to spell it correctly? And is there a way to conquer this oddly difficult word?
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Rhythmn...Rythem? Rhythm RHYTHM!

I once misspelled it so badly my beta reader wouldn't even correct it. She just said, "I'm going to make you look that up yourself." Jokes on her! I've looked it up so many times, and it never sticks.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Randomgold wrote:And is there a way to conquer this oddly difficult word?
Yes, they're called text expanders. Glorious, glorious text expanders. Saviors of the lazy and thickheaded alike.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

dilemma - That word personally hates me.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Mine is not always spelling something wrong but continuously using the wrong word in its place. Like if I want to say a PIECE OF CAKE every single time I am thinking PIECE but type PEACE....I do it with so many words I literally swear at myself :)

But if I was to choose words I struggle with it is- Nessasary, embarrass ...words where I am not quite sure how many S's are needed, or whether I should be using a C grrrrr
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

Sociopath, Necessary.
But my main dilemma is spelling small words and then they don't look right, when in reality, its correct. Those... THOSE are my Achilles heel.
(more, are, out, shut, etc.)
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

See I still can't spell necessary! No clue about the C's and S's no matter how much I try LOL
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I always need some focus when writing angel vs angle.
J Conrad Guest

Post by J Conrad Guest »

When I started writing my first novel, (removed by mod) back in... well, let's just say it was before computers as we know them today existed, I wrote on a word processor that didn't have spellcheck. So I kept a dictionary on my desk. I gotta tell you that dictionary and the thesaurus that sat next to it show a lot of wear even though I haven't used them for close to twenty years, about the time I got my first desktop.

The past tense of occur always gives me trouble: is it two Rs or one?

Yes, spellcheck is a wonderful tool but not infallible. Microsoft accepts "homerun" while, well, typing it here in this comment box, it's misspelled.

Annoying regarding names and other obscure words spellcheck doesn't recognize. In Word those words can be added to your software dictionary to eliminate the red squiggles.
Desmond Abey
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Desmond Abey »

just coffee, thats all
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I don't know why but I can never spell restaurant right. Like not even when I see the squiggly line and see I misspelled it because I, for whatever reason, can never remember how to spell it. I just have to let my computer correct me.
TJ de Ocampo
Currently Reading: Fire in the Lake
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tj-de-ocampo.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by TJ de Ocampo »

ACQUAINTANCE. Did I spell it right? Man, I had to google that first before submitting.
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

When you write using pen and paper, spelling mistakes really annoys you. But when I use laptop, most of the time spelling is auto corrected or the suggestions are given, so I don't see it as a big problem
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Spelling is mostly memorization. If you have a specific word that haunts you, make an effort to learn it, create a mnemonic device, keep a little cheat sheet. When I am on a roll, I don't worry too much about spelling. I do my best, but I don't let it distract me from getting down good ideas. The editing process is the time to be extra picky, and although spellcheckers are helpful, they don't catch all mistakes. That's up to you.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Judgement vs judgment. I always put an E in it for some odd reason.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Writing Discussion”