Is seclusion important for creative writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Is seclusion important for creative writing

Post by BoyLazy »

It's required to put our thoughts together
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Absolutely, I write best when there aren't any distractions around. I dislike noise in general though.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

It's a personal preference and sometimes, it can even vary on mood. If I'm feeling overwhelmed or stressed, I usually like to shut myself up in my bedroom and write. If I'm more relaxed, I like to go to my local coffee shop and write. It can be pretty loud there, so I use ear buds and listen to music.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

physical seclusion is not always necessary, what is needed is the mental seclusion. If you can practice that, surrounding environment won't be a problem at all
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
writerlady1904
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerlady1904.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by writerlady1904 »

We don't have a lot of space, so my desk is in the family room. Granted, I don't have kids but I do have a husband who not only dislikes books and reading, thinks writing is some sort of self punishment. If I were to banish myself into a secluded room he sure enough would think I was being self destructive. I have two cats that think it is their job to be paper weights and supervisors that sprawl and perch on my desk as I write. I have four dogs that insist I'm in eyesight at all times or else they are positive aliens have abducted me and put up a horrendous fuss. It is much more productive if I just submit to my family and write within their ability to intervene if my sitting and writing somehow becomes deadly.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Like many others have said, it depends on the person.

As for me, isolation does not help with creativity, as it can happen at any time. If I was around a few people, then I wouldn't have a problem coming up with ideas.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu »

Really, it depends on the person and, really, I think writing during an organised writing session inside a library with other writers to be quite motivating and planning special get-togethers with other writers actually gives me an excuse to leave my house and get some writing done as I would mostly find myself just be too unmotivated to write productively left to my own devices with no one around to hold me accountable.

Return to “Writing Discussion”