Does writing deeply emotional poems mean your are depressed?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
islandgirlpoetry1981
Currently Reading: What She Knew
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by islandgirlpoetry1981 »

When you feel your poetry is so deep to another level, but may come across as being dark or people look at you and ask, are you depressed? Is this poem about you? The poet doesn't always write about just themselves, it's creative expression.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I think you posted this in the wrong section of the website. This section is actually reserved for poems written by our members, but I will do my best to answer your question anyway.

Not necessarily. It means the poet is observant of things in the world which may be "dark" in theme and feels deeply enough about these observations, or is impressed enough with them, to commit them to a poem. Sometimes the poet expresses feeling which are a result of personal experience, but the poem can also be a reflection of feelings acquired by experiencing vicariously the feelings of others or simply observation of the state of things in general.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
islandgirlpoetry1981
Currently Reading: What She Knew
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by islandgirlpoetry1981 »

Oh, my apology, I will be aware. I do have poetry I can share ☺️

-- 12 Nov 2016, 20:59 --

THANK YOU JESUS

I've asked God to speak through me,
HE blessed me with the gift of poetry.
Humbled, for HE has hand selected me to make a difference,
Unto HIM I will honor with great reverence.

Many share their testimonies of how great HE is,
I didn't understand even though in my heart I knew I was HIS.
Countless mistakes I've made along the way; known as sin,
Ashamed, yet thankful HE opened HIS gates and let me in.

Looking at myself at times I think I don't deserve HIS mercy,
The life I use to live, I was completely unworthy.
Forgiveness is something we find at times so hard to do,
But I now believe, God's every words are true.

THANK YOU Jesus for walking with me each day,
Thoughts and actions sometimes reflect the opposite of what I say.
Speak through me Jesus for YOU have walked the earth just like me,
Setting the example a billion years ago for the world to see.

I still have a lot more growing up to do,
YOUR promises and word tells us God will see me through.
Years ago I prayed for God to help me find my purpose,
I'll admit HE answered my prayers, even though I was a little nervous.

Continuing to ask God to speak to and through me,
Wash away my sins and set me free.
Walking the path God has chosen even when I don't deserve,
To YOU Oh God, on my knees I'm here to serve.

© Islandgirlpoetry by Jahleen Wright (2016)
Snow Paw

Post by Snow Paw »

I don't believe so... but in my case it's alot easier to write dark poetry if I'm feeling down. Though, I believe that's because I can write out how I feel about said topic alot easier than if I'm feeling a different emotion. I guess for me it's all about the current emotion I'm feeling.
Naqvee
Reading Device: B00PLE2ROM

Post by Naqvee »

Snow Paw wrote:I don't believe so... but in my case it's alot easier to write dark poetry if I'm feeling down. Though, I believe that's because I can write out how I feel about said topic alot easier than if I'm feeling a different emotion. I guess for me it's all about the current emotion I'm feeling.
You have summed up for me as well, poetry actually happens when the imagination reaches to such point where feelings bind into words. If am happy, words will be optimistic but when I am feeling low, then white will be the snow.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

It's an expression of sad feelings, but it does not mean that you are depressed. In fact, writing poetry could be a coping mechanism that prevents depression!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

Snow Paw wrote:I don't believe so... but in my case it's alot easier to write dark poetry if I'm feeling down. Though, I believe that's because I can write out how I feel about said topic alot easier than if I'm feeling a different emotion. I guess for me it's all about the current emotion I'm feeling.
Exactly what I was thinking! It's easiest to write dark poetry when you are feeling down, but that doesn't mean you can't write it when you are feeling fine, nor does it mean that feeling down means you have depression.
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Blue-siren »

I don't think that writing something dark means your depression. I have a tendency to write dark or sad poems just because of what I'm listening to and I could be in the happiest mood ever.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I don't think it means you're depressed at all. I think many times people with strong points of view or strong emotions write deeply emotional poems because they feel so intensely about something. I find I write just as deeply when I am feeling extremely happy or loved as I do when I am feeling depressed.
ladywithglasses
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywithglasses.html

Post by ladywithglasses »

Writing deeply emotional poems or short stories for me is both a way of seeing another reality or entering another energy state. I suppose for many people writing may be therapeutic or a way to work out things. It wouldn't mean that you are depressed. It sounds more like a way for you to get the emotion out, which for all we know could be keeping you from depression. Lol!
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

I would say writing an overly dark poem is to depression what an author writing a story from a serial killer's POV is to psychopathy. That is, not at all. True, poetry does reflect the emotions of the poet to some degree, but that doesn't mean the writer is depressed. It just means they're in a dark mood at that moment. Or maybe they're just in the mood to write something darker while being perfectly content. It's all a matter of what kind of groove the poet gets into when writing the poem.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
ladywithglasses
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywithglasses.html

Post by ladywithglasses »

Very well put!!
Sway1991
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sway1991.html

Post by Sway1991 »

Well for me I usually only write poetrt when I'm feeling deeply emotional or sad. I feel like I write my best poetry at those times. I just pour out all of my feelings.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think it means that you are deeply connected to your feelings. Maybe you have so many feelings and you just need to get it out on a page. It doesn't mean you're depressed. If you're truly depressed, you wouldn't even feel like writing at all. I've seen lots of people get to that point.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

When looking at last notes of people who have committed suicide, if one have looked at them carefully previously, the suicide motive might have been identified. So it is not totally wrong for someone to think that a person is depressed by looking at what they write. But a totally happy person also can write deep sad poems as they wish
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”