How much water do you need?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
nasrun2211
Bookshelf Size: 0

How much water do you need?

Post by nasrun2211 »

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

Several approaches attempt to approximate water needs for the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate.

* Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace the lost fluids.

* Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" - drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Though the approach isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this basic rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.

* Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate.
jamesprx

Post by jamesprx »

I used to take 2- 3 lt waters intake daily....
Fantasy Guy

Post by Fantasy Guy »

The gallon approach has been my favorite, drink 1 gallon of water each day and it keeps your energy levels high.
prettyvicky

Post by prettyvicky »

i drink 8 glasses of water a day. :roll:
rx2teach

Post by rx2teach »

I also drink 8 glasses a day, and about 14 sodas. lol
kim robin

Post by kim robin »

I drink 2 liters of water a day.
prettyvicky

Post by prettyvicky »

oh wait. i forgot about the beer. so that's 8 glasses of water + 2 bottles of beer. go figure! lol :lol:
shubh

Post by shubh »

Normally it is advised at least 8-10 glasses of water. But the quantity also depends upon the climate. Stress should also be laid upon the quality of the water.
Last edited by shubh on 30 Jul 2009, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
squire848

Post by squire848 »

Yes and also you need to take into account what else you are drinking. For example coffee dehydrates you so for every cup you drink you need to drink an extra glass of water.

Your urine should be completely clear so once it is I don't think there is too much to be worrying about.

Return to “Writing Discussion”