Balance in writing reviews

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
jimthorne2
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 103
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24230">The Case for Christ</a>
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Balance in writing reviews

Post by jimthorne2 » 30 Sep 2017, 17:47

I have learned one more thing. Rather than being marked off for missing a comma, use the Draft and read out loud to catch your mistakes.
Jim Thorne

TheWriteAngel
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html

Post by TheWriteAngel » 17 Oct 2017, 22:42

I like the detailed feedback that the editors give. It helps me understand what to continue doing and what to keep out. I would really like to get better at writing reviews.

jimthorne2
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 103
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24230">The Case for Christ</a>
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html

Post by jimthorne2 » 18 Oct 2017, 09:40

Learning little by little is the secret of getting better.
Jim Thorne

Sushan
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Days of the Giants
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Sushan » 19 Jun 2018, 13:30

Reviews are dependent on the reviewer. Two reviewers may review same fiction in two different manners. Keeping balance is also a subject matter. What the author expects is something else which the reviewer cannot know if the author does not specify what he/she needs exactly
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 468
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 19 Jun 2018, 16:35

Sushan wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 13:30
Reviews are dependent on the reviewer. Two reviewers may review same fiction in two different manners. Keeping balance is also a subject matter. What the author expects is something else which the reviewer cannot know if the author does not specify what he/she needs exactly
The only input the author has on a review is approving the blurb that demonstrates that the reviewer read the book. Since the blurb is not a review and does not reveal the opinion of the reviewer, reviewers don't need to worry about what the author is looking for in the review. The author does not see the review until after they have approved the blurb for payment.

You are correct that reviewers will have different opinions on the storyline and characters. However, if a book has many grammatical and spelling errors, all reviewers should notice it & comment on it in their review. As a far as balance, reviews do need to be balanced, with analysis compromising more than the plot summary.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

jjmainor
Currently Reading: Bug Hunt
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by jjmainor » 01 Sep 2018, 01:02

You have to remember that their editing is not some robotic function that will yield the same results under separate checks...two different people are going to see the same thing in two different ways. Just think about how each of us can read the same book and come up with different ratings. I'm sure we're all not going to catch the same grammatical errors either. I get frustrated too, but you have to remember they're human like we are, and I'm sure the authors get frustrated when we don't like their books for some reason they find silly.

To answer the original question from a different perspective, I've never liked reading book summaries in a review...the author already provides that on the product page, so it's redundant in a review. Since this site requires it, I balance the summary against my own disdain, keeping it simple, but informative enough, spending the bulk of the review critiquing the book. I don't want to call anyone out or criticize (though this will definitely sound like it), but I've seen reviews that are paragraph after paragraph of summary, and only one paragraph of critique; and I find my eyes skipping paragraph after paragraph to get to the one where the reviewer tells me why they liked or disliked the review. IMO, that is more helpful to a perspective buyer.

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by CatInTheHat » 01 Sep 2018, 07:36

jjmainor wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 01:02

To answer the original question from a different perspective, I've never liked reading book summaries in a review...the author already provides that on the product page, so it's redundant in a review. Since this site requires it, I balance the summary against my own disdain, keeping it simple, but informative enough, spending the bulk of the review critiquing the book. I don't want to call anyone out or criticize (though this will definitely sound like it), but I've seen reviews that are paragraph after paragraph of summary, and only one paragraph of critique; and I find my eyes skipping paragraph after paragraph to get to the one where the reviewer tells me why they liked or disliked the review. IMO, that is more helpful to a perspective buyer.
It is assumed that when people read a review on the OBC that they have NOT looked at any product page. That said, reviewers lose major points if the summary is more than half of the review.

jjmainor

Post by jjmainor » 03 Sep 2018, 22:30

CatInTheHat wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 07:36
jjmainor wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 01:02

It is assumed that when people read a review on the OBC that they have NOT looked at any product page. That said, reviewers lose major points if the summary is more than half of the review.
That makes sense. Guess I never imagined people encountering a book here without encountering it at a retailer like Amazon.

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 15 Sep 2018, 04:42

I too, have faced a similar problem regarding commas. One editor found no issues with how I used commas however, in the next review, marks were deducted by another editor. I proofread and grammar check my reviews multiple times before posting them. No grammatical errors were observed by the free grammar check tools available online but still, I got dinged. :P
Nevertheless, the editors are doing a fine job of scoring the reviews. Due to their constructive comments, my writing has improved in a span of few months.

jjmainor

Post by jjmainor » 15 Sep 2018, 22:50

Debjani Ghosh wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 04:42
I too, have faced a similar problem regarding commas. One editor found no issues with how I used commas however, in the next review, marks were deducted by another editor. I proofread and grammar check my reviews multiple times before posting them. No grammatical errors were observed by the free grammar check tools available online but still, I got dinged. :P
Nevertheless, the editors are doing a fine job of scoring the reviews. Due to their constructive comments, my writing has improved in a span of few months.
I got dinged for not adhering to guidelines on one review, in part, for not putting a comma in the title of the book when there is no comma on the cover or the title page...

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 16 Sep 2018, 00:24

jjmainor wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 22:50
Debjani Ghosh wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 04:42
I got dinged for not adhering to guidelines on one review, in part, for not putting a comma in the title of the book when there is no comma on the cover or the title page...
That's unfortunate! :(

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator

Post by CatInTheHat » 16 Sep 2018, 10:58

jjmainor wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 22:50

For not following the guidelines? I could see that under grammar/spelling but not guidelines. For that, though, just request a recheck, explaining that's how the author wrote it.

Return to “Writing Discussion”