Writing Challenge (opening lines to a novel)

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Re: Writing Challenge (opening lines to a novel)

Post by Brandi Noelle »

"Red stilettos. It was the red stilettos he remembered most clearly. It was funny how the most important moments of his life could be clouded in such shadows. But then, he recalled that he had thought of her as the Shadow Woman, and it actually wasn’t that funny at all."
yellosteel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yellosteel »

Brandi Noelle wrote:"Red stilettos. It was the red stilettos he remembered most clearly. It was funny how the most important moments of his life could be clouded in such shadows. But then, he recalled that he had thought of her as the Shadow Woman, and it actually wasn’t that funny at all."
.....great!
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

yellosteel wrote:
Brandi Noelle wrote:"Red stilettos. It was the red stilettos he remembered most clearly. It was funny how the most important moments of his life could be clouded in such shadows. But then, he recalled that he had thought of her as the Shadow Woman, and it actually wasn’t that funny at all."
.....great!
Thank you, yellosteel! I appreciate the feedback.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

When Hannah awoke, the sound of early birdsong and the sparkling sunlight streaming through the window told her it was going to be a glorious summer's day. It took a split second for it to dawn on her. When she had fallen asleep, the house had been snowbound. And it had not been this house.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
MorningSky
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by MorningSky »

A cold and dreary morning was what greeted Haley the moment she stepped foot on her front yard. With an umbrella on one hand and her small bag on her back, she prayed to whoever was listening that her biology teacher wasn't present today.

--I tried.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

Most people are driven to show the world that they are unquestionably happy. This delusion is what keeps people sane in our world. But without this seemingly flawed philosophy of delusion we would be subject to the unrelenting fear which was offered by the world we lived in.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Jessie118
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Jessie118 »

kbeckmeyer wrote: 30 May 2016, 22:47 If you're happy and you know it, don't try to sell your grandmother's underpants on ebay. It doesn't matter how famous she is, or how badly you need an extra paycheck. Don't.
haha, I love this one!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Here’s the opening line to a story I’m currently writing.

‘Agent When was just settling down to her knitting when a rock came flying through the window and nutted her smartly.’
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

All was calm. The wind rippled through the water, which looked soft and alluring. The woman sighed in her sleep, and the man next to her played with her hand. Everything was good. No one would find them here. The man wondered if it had been smart, to bring this woman with him and run away. What other choice did he have? The woman would have been heartbroken if he had left her. He had made the right decision. He looked at her hands. They were so small, so delicate, so fragile...he hoped he could protect her. Suddenly, a loud growl could be heard. The water became jagged and dangerous as a sea monster burst out from the water and swallowed the small boat in one large gulp.

Sorry, it got a little long...
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

DesireeRose wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:09 All was calm. The wind rippled through the water, which looked soft and alluring. The woman sighed in her sleep, and the man next to her played with her hand. Everything was good. No one would find them here. The man wondered if it had been smart, to bring this woman with him and run away. What other choice did he have? The woman would have been heartbroken if he had left her. He had made the right decision. He looked at her hands. They were so small, so delicate, so fragile...he hoped he could protect her. Suddenly, a loud growl could be heard. The water became jagged and dangerous as a sea monster burst out from the water and swallowed the small boat in one large gulp.

Sorry, it got a little long...
I think that’s an entire flash fiction rather than an opening line. I like the twist at the end 😄
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sphenge
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sphenge »

There I was once again, sitting at a bar stool alone, watching my girl squad dancing the night away with their male companions. As for me, well the only thing I hoped for was that one of the two men who were seated next to me could at least say "Hi." I wondered when will my days of always being a candle holder for my friends end.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Darkness was creeping from everywhere, taking everything into its tight grip.
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

With blood on his face and fear in his eyes, Jimin taught himself to never drop a tear again for the misfortunate.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. —Charles Dickens, David Copperfield (1850)
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Vaughan died yesterday in his last car-crash. —J. G. Ballard, Crash (1973)

Of all the things that drive men to sea, the most common disaster, I've come to learn, is women. —Charles Johnson, Middle Passage (1990)

Return to “Writing Discussion”