Writing Challenge (opening lines to a novel)

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Writing Challenge (opening lines to a novel)

Post by DATo »

In my never ending attempt to drag the writer out of you guys, kicking and screaming, cowering and whimpering, I am throwing down the gauntlet (Well, actually I don't have a gauntlet. I have a pair of cotton mittens though. Consider one of them thrown down.)

The Challenge: Write a compelling opening sentence or two to a novel in approximately 25 words or thereabouts (like, who's counting?) which will make the reader want to read more. This can be in any genre: humorous, tragic, horror, fantasy etc. etc. etc.

If you can't think of a serious "compelling" opening then a ridiculous one will do. The idea is to hook the reader.

Do not be intimidated. Your contribution will not affect your SAT score, your current employment, or your standing within the community in which you reside. No one will criticize your contribution, if they do I will throw gummy bears at them (but only the ones I don't like).

Any takers?

*Picks up his mitten and takes a seat in the audience.*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
KatherineEWall
Currently Reading: What We All Have
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherineewall.html

Post by KatherineEWall »

His screams permeate the walls, echo in my soul. Been there, done that. Hope it isn’t the new kid. What’s his name? Benjamin, yeah, Benjamin.

-- 25 May 2016, 04:02 --

Hope I can do more than one. Exercises like these are so much fun.

-- 25 May 2016, 04:04 --

I could have sold frickin' Avon. Carnelia threw her spear embedding it into the chest of the grizzly, before pivoting and pulling the knife from her boot. But no, I wanted to be a gladiator.

-- 25 May 2016, 04:05 --

Nothing made sense. The nightmare engulfed Kenneth Carson. This couldn't happen – not to him, not to Janice, and not to. . . .
kbeckmeyer
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbeckmeyer.html

Post by kbeckmeyer »

If you're happy and you know it, don't try to sell your grandmother's underpants on ebay. It doesn't matter how famous she is, or how badly you need an extra paycheck. Don't.
PandaBookLover
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pandabooklover.html

Post by PandaBookLover »

I watched as the slime excreted from the walls. There was no way out; there was nowhere to run. I was doomed.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

KatherineEWall wrote: I could have sold frickin' Avon. Carnelia threw her spear embedding it into the chest of the grizzly, before pivoting and pulling the knife from her boot. But no, I wanted to be a gladiator.

Love this one! :lol:

Here's mine:

Technically, Cammie's first taste of human flesh was in the 3rd grade, when she bit Brad for stealing her oatmeal cookie. She vindictively took a bite out of said cookie, watching with a twinkle in her eye as Brad clutched his arm, face turning red.
Emily-smith
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-smith.html

Post by Emily-smith »

Kaleb stared out the window contemplating what he was going to do with the sleeping figure three rooms away from his. She literally fell into his care and she was the woman of his dreams. Hed have to tell her the truth somehow. But for now his attention was affixed upon the trees below, but his thoughts were miles away. How would he make her fall in love with him so that she could fulfill her destiny? How could he tell her the truth?
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

She entered the legal services building and headed through the security check. At least she wasn't asked to remove her shoes. She imagined all the bacteria and viruses her feet would be exposed to if she'd had to walk any distance on this floor barefoot.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Another warm day, another comfy chair on the porch, another few minutes before all hell breaks loose.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
DevinMcKenna
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devinmckenna.html

Post by DevinMcKenna »

Chapter 1. Keela

I'm pumping my legs as fast as they'll allow me, wishing that I had been smart enough to bring a water bottle. Good thing we only have one block to go. I look back to find that on,y Gia has stayed in sight. I hear her tired voice shout," wait up Keela!"

I know that my story isn't that compelling to begin with, but I am hoping that later it will turn exciting!
DATo

Post by DATo »

Nice to see that you guys are getting into this one [:- )

From my novella, My Great Big Philosophy.

I was destined to die at the age of five … such was my lot. I was also destined to discover that one of the most profound philosophical arguments imaginable centered on the question of whether or not I should have allowed myself to be saved.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

Truly, nobody is able to agree on whether that day was a bright one, the sky blue with fluffy clouds and birds chirping at dawn, or if the unforgiving wind threatened to blow away roofs of shacks and nothing could calm the cawing crows. The answer depends entirely on who is answering but that is to be expected.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently, balancing on the wind is much harder than the Travelers make it look like and clouds, in fact, cannot hold one's weight. Shaiara finds that out the hard way, by tripping, falling and gathering bruises.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, seems like all the chocolate chip cookies grew legs and disappeared again. Akash wonders if his collection of spiders would have any luck chasing them down.
My weekend is all booked!
DATo

Post by DATo »

I wasn't expecting many responses when I made this thread but I have been pleasantly surprised. You guys have come up with some terrific opening lines!
― Steven Wright
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

Until, this point in my life I had liked to think I was well prepared for anything but as it turns out i was not ready for a raptor to eat my cookies. I was most certainly not prepared for the way that Kaylee's lips felt against mine or the way her fingers played with hem of my skirt.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

The moment of truth had finally arrived. A few seconds had never seemed so long before. A few small steps had never felt like such giant leaps. When my shaking hands finally pushed the door open....
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I was lying on my bed looking at the spider-web in corner of the ceiling, I should probably clean it up, but I don't really care. I should also probably get up and go to work, but I don't care much about that either. What's the use of caring, anyway.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Writing Discussion”