Writing Challenge (opening lines to a novel)

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Re: Writing Challenge (opening lines to a novel)

Post by Ashley 1820 »

Water drops waving in the air!a big giant mosquito sitting just before me! my hand is talking? Wait...is this my hallucination? Or I'm dreaming.... no....if I am dreaming then why on earth I am feeling the pain of these cockroaches pulling my hair??!
DreamWriteDo2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DreamWriteDo2 »

I'm a bit late since I just joined the site but this challenge looked fun!

He stabbed me in the back, but I kept running. My adrenaline was wearing off, but I kept running. My breathing was ragged and shallow, and that's when it all started closing in on me...
Im2Adorkable4U
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-im2adorkable4u.html

Post by Im2Adorkable4U »

There had never been a worse time to sneeze. Nost twitching, stomach churning and there it was. The loudest sneeze I'd ever heard. Hopefully that monster around the corner didn't bat an eye, except he did and he was angry.
earthheart
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-earthheart.html

Post by earthheart »

Since witnessing the turning, he pledged his life to the one who had saved him from the madness of his people, but delusion still had him pinned by its coarse claws, the fight for freedom had just begun.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Hope I am not too late, I love stuff like this! :D
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

It's been ten days since the world went dark. There is no day, only night and the inevitable extinction of our species, potentially all life here on Earth.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

Hope nobody minds if I join in at this point in time.

The city was its usual bustling self. People of all walks of life went about their business as usual. None of them paid any attention to a group of large people with fur and fangs instead of skin and teeth.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
kc2514

Post by kc2514 »

Waiting. Waiting, wishing, wanting. Jacob needs to hurry up. I'm standing out here in the heat for who's knows why. I wish he would just come already.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Billowing curtains above his head woke John. Peaking through his lashes, the sun beckoned him to start the day with a yawn and a good stretch. Scratching Henry behind the ears, he savored the dawn - his favorite time of day. The early morning air was crisp and the world seemed a new creation rising out of the night. April and Spring and the promise of new life filled John with excitement.
angel_amanda

Post by angel_amanda »

The meadow, ah yes, the meadow...
You'll walk in and think it the product of dreams and fairy tales. It will be then the meadow will strike.
It will strike hard and true, I dare say, you wont even know until its too late. But that would be a lie. The Meadow Watcher always makes her victims aware of every waking moment and of every ghastly torture
Janet L
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Janet L »

The words "don’t tell" had become the sweetest words Bowen Baine could hear coming from the 15 year old Princess Adara. Though he was five years her senior, he wasn’t at all more mature, being an ogre, or any more knowledgeable about the things that had been taking place between them lately.
stepie82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stepie82.html

Post by stepie82 »

A long long time ago there lived a modern day Cinderella. She cooked, cleaned and took care of other people who didn't give her respect and used her. Cinderella worked hard everyday and there was yet to be a Prince Charming in sight..or was there?
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

The question wasn't why Sunny had chosen to be a writer, but rather, how she had managed to write down all of the CIA's classified documents.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

He stood there confused. The tears begged him to let them go, but he held them back. His ego was too strong for that but not too strong to beg. He watched the gun kiss his daughter's ear. "I'll give you the package. I'll do whatever you want." "Too late for that." His wife's face lit up as she pulled the trigger.

-- 17 Jun 2017, 16:29 --
mewsmash wrote:The question wasn't why Sunny had chosen to be a writer, but rather, how she had managed to write down all of the CIA's classified documents.
Humm... This seems promising.
TJayne89
Currently Reading: The Daylight War
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjayne89.html
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik

Post by TJayne89 »

The clock ceased its melancholy ticking at precisely one second to the hour. The hour was when the screaming began.
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik
yellosteel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yellosteel »

How it happened nobody knew. Boom! Boom!! Boom!!! All at once people began to scamper for safety looking for where to hide. The sky exploded raining fires and brimstones .

Return to “Writing Discussion”