2016 OnlineBookClub.org Publishing Contest

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: 2016 OnlineBookClub.org Publishing Contest

Post by bookowlie »

I am a little confused. How would we found someone to vote for if they weren't a top vote getter at the moment?
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Thank you for the feedback. I have added a 'page 2' to the leaderboard to show all the other entries that aren't on the top list.

However, due to there being so many entries. I still have it hiding the entries with no votes at all. These people will need to email the link they were sent to friends and family, and share it on social sites like Twitter etc. to at least get one vote to be on the list. I recommend aiming for much more than just one vote to get noticed by strangers, though. It's a tough play to try to convince strangers to support a career choice if your own friends and family and personal connections do not support that career choice.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
martha
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha.html

Post by martha »

I didn't know where else to say anything but I'll do it here. I entered the contest but I have no votes because I didn't get a vote for Martha button. What should I do?

:tiphat:
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

martha wrote:I didn't know where else to say anything but I'll do it here. I entered the contest but I have no votes because I didn't get a vote for Martha button. What should I do?

:tiphat:
@martha I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. You should have been emailed the link to your entry page. You won't see the "vote for martha" button because it's your own entry page and you cannot vote for yourself. If you look on your page, under where it says "My Vote" is where others will see the "vote for martha" button but for you it will say that it is your page and display the URL you can use to share it.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

martha
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha.html

Post by martha »

I see what you mean. Thanks.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I have added a "Top 10 by Post Count" page to the leaderboard. This way members of OnlineBookClub.org can easily browse entries from people they have gotten to know online. You might be able to tell whether or not you would be interesting in buying someone's book based on how helpful and pleasant a person's posts on the forums are.
Lincoln wrote:I think that would be useful, having a consolidated place to handle entrants. The problem is, if you aren't on the 'top vote-getters' list already, you probably won't make it there because people can't browse for it. Right now there is no clear place to go to find entrants except the top of of the list.
@Lincoln there is now a page 2 on the leaderboard that lists the entrants so members can browse through them

Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Thanks for adding that, as well as the place to introduce the book in a little more depth and give people greater insight into it!
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Scott wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Is there a link to vote for the participants? I accidentally found a link a few days in a forum post a few days ago, but I am not sure if it includes all of the participants or just the top vote-getters so far.
@bookowlie You can see the top vote-getters at http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... rboard.php

There is no full list at this time.

However, I was thinking perhaps starting a topic in the forums in which each participant can explain in more detail what their book would be about and/or why people should vote for them.[/quote

As an entrant I think a topic for those participating to go into more detail about their books is a great idea.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

@Lincoln You're welcome :)

TrishaAnn92 wrote:
Scott wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Is there a link to vote for the participants? I accidentally found a link a few days in a forum post a few days ago, but I am not sure if it includes all of the participants or just the top vote-getters so far.
There is no full list at this time.
@TrishaAnn92 There wasn't before but there is now. When you go to the Publishing Contest Leaderboard you will notice that now there is a "page 2" with all the entries that have at least one vote.
TrishaAnn92 wrote:However, I was thinking perhaps starting a topic in the forums in which each participant can explain in more detail what their book would be about and/or why people should vote for them.
One step ahead of you again :P I just started such a topic earlier today. Check it out.

Also, on Twitter we are working today and tomorrow with the hashtag #OBCPublishingContest. And have a little mini-contest with that. So share as much as you can on Twitter right now. Make sure to use the hashtag #OBCPublishingContest. And tag me personally too if you want an RT. I'll RT any tweets with the hashtag #OBCPublishingContest if I am tagged in them too, for today and tomorrow. :)

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

awesome! :D
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks TrishaAnn92 and Scott for the additional info.

@TrishaAnn92 Good luck with your entry!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks TrishaAnn92 and Scott for the additional info.

@TrishaAnn92 Good luck with your entry!

Thank you!!!
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Time-Sensitive Announcement ~ I am hosting a live Twitter discussion at 9pm EST (30 minutes from the time of this post). The discussion will be with the hashtag #OBCPublishingContest.

You can ask questions for all the authors. You can ask questions to specific authors. I'll be asking questions for any and all authors to answer. Authors can share whatever info they want. Also, I will probably give out some prizes. :)

This is a great opportunity to decide who you want to vote for in the publishing contest. You can vote for more than one person, so the decision doesn't come with too much pressure.

Click here to see/join the live discussion. To add a tweet to the live discussion simply add the hashtag #OBCPublishingContest to your tweet.

readitandwept
Favorite Author: Libba Bray
Favorite Book: Ginger Pye
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readitandwept.html
Latest Review: "The Morecambe Medium" by Peter Cakebread with Ken Walton
Publishing Contest Votes: 4
fav_author_id: 2652

Post by readitandwept »

It might be easier to vote for more people if there was a forum for people to maybe introduce their books or themselves more.
Latest Review: "The Morecambe Medium" by Peter Cakebread with Ken Walton
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Scott opened up a topic in the community/ off topic forum for contestants to talk more about their book.

forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php ... mp;t=32708

Return to “Writing Discussion”