Do you write a journal/diary?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
maupad
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Do you write a journal/diary?

Post by maupad »

Yeah. This resonates with me. I have been keeping a diary since age 9. And Yes! My writing skills improved over time.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I started writing a diary when I was small. My idea was to improve my English (its not my mother tongue). I think it helped me with that. But in most of cases I am unable of continuing what I start. So with time it stopped and now I am not writing anything at all regarding myself
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I have been writing in a journal off and on since I was a kid. These days I write in it daily and I keep a gratitude journal that I also write in daily.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I have been keeping a journal ever since I could write. I called them diaries at first. I keep them all. I had a Lisa Frank diary with a lock and key with unicorns on the front, a secret one that you had to voice activate, ten or so black composition notebooks. Hmmmm okay to be honest when I was thirteen or fourteen I had one of those cliche teen angst years. I painted the sides of a book all black and kept it in a black box in my closet. Then I ended up tearing out pages because I was too uncool to burn them.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Hehe. Nice seeing that. I love writing and I have always enjoyed recording memorable events. I also keep my diary but I do not do much of journalling. It is always good to go back and get a touch on how things were then and how one was responding.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I have tried and failed to journal daily countless times. One day, I decided to take a weekly planner and write a little bit about what I did that day. I find this much less intimidating compared to writing a full page in a journal. I still use a journal as a creative outlet, but I prefer to document my life in a weekly planner.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a nice approach also given that at times at times it may be difficult to find ample time to journal. I also think that it is an alternative to those who may not be into a lot of writing.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rhianne
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhianne.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rhianne »

I go through phases where I try to journal and then eventually give up, mostly because my 'journal' ends up being a collection of short stories, story ideas or quotes that I found inspiring. It's always been a struggle to write about myself, even if it's something only I will ever read. :confusion-shrug:
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I tried to do so a couple of times when I was younge, but sadly failed. I think because I can't really reveal my deepest emotions unless I am talking to a dear friend or a close family member. So, writing a dairy was too hard for me to do because I got scared someone I didn't trust found out about it.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I also started writing a journal of interesting thing happened in my life two years back. It a great thing to do.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is a good art and discipline when one has learned to do it consistently. I have been keeping a diary and times come when I look back and begin to appreciate the progress I have made so far.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Frisca
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Faith
Currently Reading: Quiet Mind Epic Life
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Frisca »

I have been writing journals I could write. Unfortunately, I never keep them. They either get taken, thrown away, or lost. All of them get read. When I moved out of my house after 8 years, I threw away about 20 notebooks I tried to save them into my computer manually. I thought it a good idea reading each of them again. Most of the time I don't read them. Lately, my writing is limited. For me, it clears my mind from clutter, relieves some stress, helps with decision - making, memory, remembering, and it helped with an incident I had with my children's school.
elissasmart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elissasmart »

I write a diary where I make notes about what I do wrong or not while the day. Also, I have a page with the rules what I afford myself to do and what is prohibited. My diary helps me to keep discipline and not to forget important thoughts that pop up in my head.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

I don't journal habitually, but I do compulsively. Growing up, my family and I held different beliefs about life, death, and morality. If I brought any of mine up, they had a tendency to generate a bit of chaos. Over time, I realized that writing down my thoughts was a better outlet. When I feel the need to speak, I open up one of my journals. Today, I can speak my thoughts, but I still write them out first. :)
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Osatogbe483
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Osatogbe483 »

yes i keep a journal of the happenings around me

Return to “Writing Discussion”