Who will be doing Nanowrimo this year?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Re: Who will be doing Nanowrimo this year?

Post by Lauren M »

I hadn't considered it until this moment. but I might do it this year. I have a story that I have been toying with in my head, but im scared to try and cage it to paper.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Zoey141
Currently Reading: elephant vanishes
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Zoey141 »

Me!

Last year was so disappointing. I hope to make up for it this year. Fingers crossed.
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarthMom25 »

I'll be trying again this year! I've started preplanning my book this time, so I'm really hoping that I'll be successful this time around.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Last year was my first year. This year I am excited. I have a story I have been outlining, 2 actually I haven't really decided which one I am going to go with. ?

Last year I pantsed it, and did horrible! This year I plan on getting to that 50k word count!
Sol Joy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sol-joy.html

Post by Sol Joy »

I might this year!!! I am managing so much right now but I've always wanted to do it.

I could totally see myself carving out some extra time to write after the kids get to bed.

This actually sounds like what I need right now... I think I am talking....or typing rather :) my way into NaNoWriMo as the moments pass.

Okay...I'm in!

This was like some sort of self therapy session. Lol. Thanks guys for posting the question.
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens

Post by poetrythanki »

I participated last year for the first time but I couldn't achieve my word goal. I really wanted to this year but I'm off to a vacation and I won't return until 20th of the month. I might join for the rest of the month and write as much as I could.
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens
Forest-Calkins

Post by Forest-Calkins »

I've participated in Nanowrimo last year, as has my father. My progress wasn't really that spectacular but if there's on thing that can fix my creativity, it's deadlines. I should start sifting my ideas for this coming one.
Zoey141

Post by Zoey141 »

Me! Me! Me! I started last year, but couldn't finish my novel :( I'll totally make up for it this year though. Are there any specific writing tools you guys use or just plain old MS Word?
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For those who have done NanaWrimo, do you find it beneficial with writing a story? I was considering doing it before, but now, I'm not sure.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Zoey141

Post by Zoey141 »

hsimone wrote:For those who have done NanaWrimo, do you find it beneficial with writing a story? I was considering doing it before, but now, I'm not sure.
Depends... If you're the kind who works best under pressure and loves deadlines, then you may like it. You'll have to write 50,000 words in a month's time. I had too much on my plate last year and I could only manage 5K words :| A friend of mine, however, managed to finish her novel last November. It worked well for her. It really depends on the type of writer you are. Here's how Nanowrimo works - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... ting_Month.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I do sometimes, but this year my exams are taking up most of nano so I'm not going to get very far if I do (so I might just try and finish last year's novel instead once exams are done). That tends to be a problem most years, since in Australia, November is exam season.

From what I find, even if you don't get very far into your novel, you've thought about it and maybe you've written a few hundred/thousand more words than you would have otherwise. So long as it doesn't slip into dead space afterwards and is never seen again, you can build from that: either slowly over time, or during the next nice chunk you find time to be writing in. Even if you're the type who edits thorougly as they write (and that's a big reason people can't make it anywhere near 50k), it's still given you something to continue working on. And it's also a good opportunity to flesh out world and story development while ignoring/loosening up on the finer details of your writing. So I think it's worth it no matter how many words is under your name at the end of it.

For writing tools, I either use MS word, one-note or googledoc (the latter because the middle one crashed during nano last year and I'm grumpy at it still). The upside of one-note is no word count staring like it tends to in word. I used it to sync to my tablet at uni so I could work during slow lectures and late lecturers as well. The down side is...no word count, so I had no idea where I was when trying to keep chapter lengths reasonably similar. With word, my main problem is all my study stuff - notes, assignments etc - is also done through word, so I wind up with too many word docs open and then there's transferring through email/USB to work on it in various places too. Hence googledocs, where all I have to do is log onto my email and I can access it anywhere. Downside to that is it requires internet connection so shaky wireless is going to disrupt writing flow. I have another friend who writes on googledocs too, and another couple who write on plain notebooks (pen and paper :D). There are free journals and things on the internet as well, and then the fancier stuff like ywriter that allows for more rigorous organisation.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Netgirl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netgirl.html

Post by Netgirl »

I'm gonna give it another shot. I read the book on NaNoWrMo and I was surprised it was a thing. I've tried it out in previous years, but I never completed the full novel. This year I have a better gameplan and I'm planning on doing a fanfiction instead set in one of the video game worlds I love to play all the time. Nothing innovative, but I'm hoping to have fun with it this year.
ReginaM

Post by ReginaM »

I'm doing NaNo again this year. I have been participating since 2012. My plan is to finish two current works in progress. I know that the program is supposed to be designed to start a new project, but I have too many unfinished projects to justify starting another one. I have a minimum of 50,000 words of original content to write between the two stories, so I'm not worried about running out of storyline before November 30.
anduril38

Post by anduril38 »

I am, third time :) Got a few open works to do, as well as worldbuilding :) so far I'm 14k after 2 days :)
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

Does anyone feel like pulling their hair out and it's only the 5th? I'm at 2.5k (started on the 3rd) and I already need inspiration.

Return to “Writing Discussion”