Who will be doing Nanowrimo this year?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
WiltonFel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who will be doing Nanowrimo this year?

Post by WiltonFel »

My NANOWRIMO failed miserably last year. I was so disheartened by it and mad at myself. Anybody else having such feelings after not keeping up with it?
sjauhar
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjauhar.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by sjauhar »

Here's the thing-a lot of published writers I know and are in contact with think this is a good exercise for people who are pushing themselves into wanting to be better writers, but it's not always for everyone. I have never participated in this and probably never will yet I have one novel that is being queried, over 200 poems, 5 novels outlined, and at least 5 children's books outlined as well. This is everything I've been doing since I was 18.19 and I'm now 38. I've also spent 20 years getting my degrees and researching certain historical eras for those novels. I think it's great if you want to participate in this. I also think it's not for everyone.
JayDel
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jtukpah.html
Latest Review: A Little Lost A Little Found by HM Irwing

Post by JayDel »

I tried to do NaNoWriMo this year and it just was not working out for me. Usually I just try to get as many words down as possible, and that's worked because I've actually gotten to the 50,000 limit. But that's usually if I don't restrict myself to one story and just write anything that pops into my head. Maybe that's not how it's supposed to work but it helps me get words down.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

done! Reached my goal too! :) I like the idea of NaNo, it helps me focus on writing or editing. Can't wait for new camps and November!
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I've done Nano for the past two years. I've accomplished the 50K word count both times (actually, I hit well over 70K this past November) but the quality of writing seems to be poor because of the rushed pace. I haven't decided if I'll do it again this November. The summer camp thing Nano is doing is out of the question. Too much is happening around me in the summer time. I can find little time to keep the pace that would be needed for 50K in 30 days. I'll decide on my November participation this year in September maybe October.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I've wanted to do Nanowrimo for several years but never got around to it, it's just so difficult coming up with ideas and developing a plot for me. I get that Nanowrimo is more for just getting out that first draft and doing the editing later, but I guess I'm unreasonably fussy with myself. This year I've actually got a couple of ideas lying around, so I might actually take part. Would be nice to finish a book for once!
MaryBethEdwards
Currently Reading:

Post by MaryBethEdwards »

I will be joining Nanowrimo for the first time this year. I read some discussions and posts last year and have been looking forward to it ever since. I have a novel I'm working on already, so I will have to use a whole new story idea for November
Sara Barcelo
Favorite Book: Wolfskin
Currently Reading: The Anatomy of Story
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-barcelo.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Sara Barcelo »

After many years of not writing, I'm pumped to try again this year! I already have a project in mind...
Nerdigurl

Post by Nerdigurl »

I'm doing it! I've done it every year since I was 16, and even if I don't finish my book in the month, I at least get an amazing start on it, and a momentum as well.
That being said, I was not actually planning on doing it this year, I'm working two jobs, moving and trying to conceive, it all just seemed like too much. Until last night, out of the blue my husband told me that he wished I would write more, because when I write it's for me. I spend so much of my time focused on others that I forget my own joys and passion.
So I will be doing it this year, and no matter I finish or only get 100 words, I will be happy to have a space for me.
Sarziesarah
Currently Reading: Ghostly Manners
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Sarziesarah »

I so want to try this year but everytime I say so the beast that is ' writer's block' decides to visit. Aaaaaaah! Now what am I to do?
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I've never done Nanowirmo, but I've heard some about it. It seems pretty useful to a lot of writers. I just never felt it's for me cos I've never had a story planned out well enough to put to pen all within a month, and usually when I start writing a story, after about 5000 words I realize I don't like it very much!

But I'm trying to take my writing more seriously this year, so I think I might just give it a go. I'm notorious for inconsistency though, yikes. Any tips from generous veterans?
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I always want to do NaNo but with working full time, farm animals and four kids I find it unreasonable. This year I was hoping to do Blogtober (daily blog post) but I’m struggling with that as well.
JephaNZ89
Currently Reading:

Post by JephaNZ89 »

I wont be doing the full NaNo but I'm hoping to use November to add some word count to a WIP from a previous NaNo.
lred
Currently Reading: American Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lred.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by lred »

For those doing NaNoWriMo this year, what kind of accountability methods are you using? My intent is to do at least two write-ins with others in my community. I would love to do daily (or weekly) updates with a wider community of writers, if anybody is interested.
LiaDospetti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by LiaDospetti »

lred wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 12:27 For those doing NaNoWriMo this year, what kind of accountability methods are you using?
Just my partner. He's keeping me on track without adding pressure, asking casually "How's the novel progressing?" during the week. I'm trying to stick to my idea that I want to have at least 30k words written even if I don't win.
lred wrote: I would love to do daily (or weekly) updates with a wider community of writers, if anybody is interested.
That would be awesome! :techie-studyinggray: I'm in if that's okay.

Return to “Writing Discussion”