Who will be doing Nanowrimo this year?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Re: Who will be doing Nanowrimo this year?

Post by Topcho »

moderntimes wrote:A question -- what is the end use of the novels that are written? Are they published or made accessible as e-books, or what? Do they get reviewed and are their prizes (even if the prize is an imaginary gold medal)?

Thanks.
Well, it is mostly the imaginary gold medal :D There's a badge you can display on your site/blog/progile to let the world know you are a proud survivor of the NaNoWriMo. This and the personal feeling of achievement.

The initiative is mostly to help authors sit and do the actual writing of their books. NaNoWriMo doesn't get actual access to the texts, only to the word count.

However there are some goodies for the authors completeing the NaNo. Like discounts on writing software, on correction services, designer services, and yeah, even the chance to publush your work. There are publisher who work with NaNo, but completeing the challenge doesn't mean your book will automatically be published. Anyway, there are good opportunities, especially if you write in English... which I don't so I'm just doing NaNo for the fun and to push myself :D
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Topcho wrote:
moderntimes wrote:A question -- what is the end use of the novels that are written? Are they published or made accessible as e-books, or what? Do they get reviewed and are their prizes (even if the prize is an imaginary gold medal)?

Thanks.
Well, it is mostly the imaginary gold medal :D There's a badge you can display on your site/blog/progile to let the world know you are a proud survivor of the NaNoWriMo. This and the personal feeling of achievement.

The initiative is mostly to help authors sit and do the actual writing of their books. NaNoWriMo doesn't get actual access to the texts, only to the word count.

However there are some goodies for the authors completeing the NaNo. Like discounts on writing software, on correction services, designer services, and yeah, even the chance to publush your work. There are publisher who work with NaNo, but completeing the challenge doesn't mean your book will automatically be published. Anyway, there are good opportunities, especially if you write in English... which I don't so I'm just doing NaNo for the fun and to push myself :D
That's the only reason I do it. It's just a challenge. For fun.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Hi! I just signed up for my very first NaNoWriMo! I am really excited and I plan to spend quite a bit of time on research in the next few weeks so that I can just write my heart out starting in November. How is everybody feeling about their book? Any other first-timers who want a writing buddy?
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
Topcho

Post by Topcho »

Hi there NaNo buddies :D

By the way, you've probably have noticed, but last night was NaNoWriMo's Night od Writing Dangerously. Have anyone of you happen to participate? Some of my forum friends and I decided to hold an inspired by this event and put up an all-nighter this weekend and do some writing!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Topcho wrote:Hi there NaNo buddies :D
By the way, you've probably have noticed, but last night was NaNoWriMo's Night od Writing Dangerously. Have anyone of you happen to participate? Some of my forum friends and I decided to hold an inspired by this event and put up an all-nighter this weekend and do some writing!
Oh, I didn't do it! I tend to tune out everything Nano related until November, and then I just go crazy and I think of nothing except writing! I'm trying to get a bunch of stuff done now (I have a book being published on Oct 31! Ha! Down to the wire!) so that I am free to write nonstop next month.

Anyway, you can add me as a friend if you want. I'm GrannyP.
CornishViking
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornishviking.html

Post by CornishViking »

I keep meaning to do it. Then I never do. Mainly as I like to set my own goals I guess
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I just signed up for nanowrimo as a way to kind of motivate myself to achieve my goal/dream of writing a book whether it gets published or not! :) :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I just signed up for nanowrimo as a way to kind of motivate myself to achieve my goal/dream of writing a book whether it gets published or not! :) :)
Congrats! That's always how I find writing to be the most fun! The funnest? Oh darn. I should brush up on my superlatives.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I can't wait! I've always had a dream of becoming an author and this may be the motivation to push for it!!
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

This sounds interesting..I've never heard of it before. The problem is that I NEVER finish writing what I start :(

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:This sounds interesting..I've never heard of it before. The problem is that I NEVER finish writing what I start :(
I have the same problem with starting but not finishing. I'm using this as a motivation because I have 2-4 stories that I would love to write. :)
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Does anybody want to talk about their book ideas?
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I'm definitely going to give it a go this year, it'll be my first year!
read well and write bravely
Topcho

Post by Topcho »

ALynn Powers (GrannyP) it seems I couldn't find you in the site :/ This is my profile there however, if someone wants us to be buddies - http://nanowrimo.org/participants/topcho

CCtheBrave good luck! I've signed up before, but this is the first year I plan to actually commit.

Ah, I'd usually be all about discussing our projects, but suddenly I am unsure of what mine will be. My initial plan was to work on my Nano Camp novel and add 50 000 more words to it. But last week I started another project - it was supposed to be just a short story for a forum writing challenge. But thing are getting out of hand, lol and I am now on page 23 of my document. So for now I will just let things go their way and decide on Nov 1st. I may end up as a Rebel again, working on more than one project.

By the way, do you know if the Nano Rebels, lol? You can check them on the forum. They are group of people who commit to write the 50 000 words, but in a slightly different way. Not a full novel, but a set of unrelated short stories, non-fiction works, or working on multiple projects.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

Oh my goodness, that's exactly what I want to do, write a series of short stories instead of one big novel. I'm going to check it out, thanks!
read well and write bravely

Return to “Writing Discussion”