When do you write your best material?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
lowen1994
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lowen1994.html

Re: When do you write your best material?

Post by lowen1994 »

I usually do my best writing when I've been busy all day and am practically foaming at the mouth, can't wait to get to my computer.
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

I'm such a night owl so in the early mornings are best for me. I used to live in a house with many members so it was really great to work in quiet, instead of the loud mess that was the day.
hyrumseries
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyrumseries.html

Post by hyrumseries »

It comes and goes. I've tried keeping to some of kind of set schedule, but if an idea isn't coming, it's not coming. I try to keep at least a million different things going so if something doesn't work for one during the evening, I can try another the next morning. My phone's notepad is full of rough drafts that hit me when I'm out and about or at work and don't have my computer.

My peak writing times are pretty much when it wants, where it wants, how it wants.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I'm like you, hyrum -- I don't have a set schedule. I'm retired aside from an occasional tech consulting job, so I make my own schedule.

I do however stick to the premise of doing SOME sort of writing each day, otherwise I get rusty. And that 4th novel won't write itself. I'm now at about 12,000 words and I keep plugging away.

But I don't adhere to a fixed schedule for a day. I write as the spirit moves me, but I also admit that occasionally I have to kick-start the ol' spirit, ha ha.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I write my best stories when I just wake up because most of my story ideas come from my dreams.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Pectabyte

Post by Pectabyte »

I write my best work after a jog and im feeling energized. I also seem to write better in the late morning / early afternoon. I find the crap I write in the middle of the night tends to be very sentimental but doesn't really push the story or characters forward.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Rethinking this topic, I find that I can write most anytime, so long as I'm not distracted or overly tired. Now that I'm semi-retired and only taking on occasional consulting work plus my novels, I find that I've got time in the mornings, take a break, write more in the afternoon, and so on.

And hey, I've got a lovely live-in girlfriend and she and I spend lots of time together too, so my writing isn't all I do. I also get out and around, see movies, concerts, other things, hang at the Brit pub with pals, you name it.

But when I DO get to writing, I try to dedicate a solid chunk of time, 4-5 hours uninterrupted, so I can really focus and bear down. That 80,000 word novel doesn't write itself, y'know.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Hatter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatter.html

Post by Hatter »

I've always been a night owl and I get more things done in one night between 1am and 6 am than I could do during the day in three days. The night invigorates me and inspires me.
kayper
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Fox flight lightfall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayper.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by kayper »

I right best in the morning when it is quiet
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

Usually late at night when I have no other obligations...or in the middle of class. That's a good time too.
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

The most brilliant ideas I get it's when I'm half asleep, slowly falling to the dreaming state - it's then when great ideas come to me. Unfortunately, then I just have to write them down and one can easily imagine that I don't get a lot of sleep.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

I don't have a problem with writing at any particular time in the day. I do, however, prefer writing at night because there is something more private about it. When my house is still and everyone is in bed, I am alone and there is no one to disturb my train of thought.
Write your own destiny...
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I write my best material first thing in the morning. As soon as I wake up, that is when I am the most creative. So I have to hurry up, grab a pencil and paper and I am good to go!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I've found that my writing is usually very good when I write how I feel at the moment. Outside of my feelings, I may need research to write really good stuff.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I write for my own pleasure so, I do not have deadlines or pressure. But I think if I am pressurized, the outcome won't be of any good. Relaxed mind is the most needed thing for me to write
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”