When do you write your best material?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Kelsey anne
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: When do you write your best material?

Post by Kelsey anne »

I write my best material when I am feeling strong emotions. I tend to write about things that I am truly passionate about because not only do I have strong points and arguments but I also try my best to make my readers try to really feel what me or my characters are going through. I also tend to write thrilling material when I am angry because I get overwhelmed and sometimes come up with ridiculous plots that I most likely wouldn't have thought of if I was in a calm mood.
echoesofmj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echoesofmj.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by echoesofmj »

I have tried several methods to write.

I liked NaNoWriMo because it gave me an "urge" to write. I had a deadline and a word count to reach every day. But once that month was over, I read through all I had written, and while I am not a writer that plans ahead, I felt this could have been more...polished. Sometimes under pressure, I can come up with very good things, but if I just write to write, that's when it can get messy.

Usually, I'm at my best, at night. I used to do a lot of insomnia, so that was the time when I would write. I find that at night time, I'm closest to my emotions, and it's easier to connect with the characters. Sometimes, something is going to happen to me, and that will just remind me of one of my characters, and then it's like there is this urge...nearly compulsion, to write their story. It feels that way sometimes - that I am merely a vessel to all the voices in there. And in all honesty, there's no better feeling than feeling this urge, deep down, that compels you to write.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I feel you. I always find myself writng when I'm under a deadline that isn't related to my story. Also, when I'm having a peaceful day and I woke up early (8 AM to 10 AM) I make a cup of coffee and start writing in my balcony. It is the best feeling in the world.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
MedleyLORE
Favorite Book: A Killer's Mind
Currently Reading: A River in Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MedleyLORE »

If it works for you then go for it. But I take my time, it may annoy the readers but I still want to give them my best. When I get depressed I get the best out of it. I don’t normally have a variety or emotions to fill up a page so when it starts to hit hard I give it my best discription. I know people suffer from this but what am I to do? This is my own form of therapy at this point, and I get a better image for my writing when dread sits on the end of my tongue.
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

My best matieral comes to me at about 6:00 in the evening, and fizzles out at about 2:00 in the morning. I have to watch myself, because I'm one of those people that get lost in their work. So many times, I sit down to write in the evening, and then I look up and "oh hey, the sun came up." XD
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I always write the best material when I'm meant to be doing something else. Otherwise, from the hours of 11pm to 2am is my prime writing time.

Return to “Writing Discussion”