Does anyone write out of revenge?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Does anyone write out of revenge?

Post by Amagine »

Back in middle school, I wrote a lot vengeful poems. I wont even bring up the content as it was pretty dark. I don't write like that anymore though because it didn't make me feel any better. I just became more sad and angry. When I started writing things that made me happy, it changed my whole mood. So now, I try not to allow anyone to have any power over what I write.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
K-McD
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-mcd.html

Post by K-McD »

I'll admit to writing a piece or two featuring some people who irritated me, though it was mainly about something I wish I'd said or done in the moment. I wouldn't publish them or put them in a finished work. And I've written some things involving fictional characters that really needed to be slapped in the face (or worse). There's only one person I can think of who I'd ever write a proper revenge story about, but I'd much rather finish the books I'm working on. Besides, he saw insults in everything and thought everything was about him, so I could probably get revenge if I really wanted to just by including a carefully-chosen line or two and letting him throw a fit over it. No chance of a successful libel suit that way.
Wanton_Wordsmith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18985">The Fellowship of the Ring</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Wanton_Wordsmith »

You are all going to think I'm nuts, but I have good reason to start this forum thread.
My high school reunion is coming up, and if I go, I know I will see my old bullies. I will play it cool, though.
I will not "go postal" and try to beat them up (Lord knows I want to!) I will pretend to be nice and act calm, cool and collected. I doubt the old bullies will even remember me. Back to the post.
I want to write some short stories about my difficult high school years, and I debated with myself as to wither writing about my old bullies will keep me stuck in a place of anger and resentment.
I have a hard time letting things go, obviously. But what really sticks in my craw is that I've heard that my old bullies are now successful people, and I work a regular 9-5 job. I hate it when evil people win.
Hence, all the more need for fiction. Here's my question: If I write these "revenge" stories, will it keep me stuck in anger and resentment? Will it prevent me from moving on? And is it evil to write with bad intent in the first place? I know the standard advice is to "forgive and forget," but I'm not the "forgiving" type.
(No, I'm not a violent person. Just a passive-aggressive person.) Any advice on this subject is welcome.
Thank you all for reading this.
:P :tiphat:
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I don't know about revenge, but I have been inspired by the bad behaviors of others to write them into my poetry. Rotten boyfriends, two-faced in-laws...they've had poetry written about them and it's not flattering. Brutally honest, actually. But, they don't ever actually see it, so that negates the revenge angle. It's more therapeutic for me than anything else.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

hahah.. Taylor Swift comes to mind :P
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

Wanton_Wordsmith wrote:Here's another of my crazy questions: does use revenge as a reason to write? To get back at everyone who ever laughed at you? Does anyone ever write fictional antagonists based on bad people they knew in life? Based a bad character on a real jerk? Does anyone write fiction to get the angries out of their system? Or is that too passive/aggressive? I like to write horror fiction, and I used some bad experiences from my school days as material for my stories. How do other writers handle bad life experiences? What do other writers handle revenge wishes? Any comments are welcome.
:twisted:
While revenge is not necessarily the reason I write, I do find myself using people who have made fun of me or hurt me and turning them into characters. Sometimes those characters are bad people and sometimes bad things happen to those characters.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Let me put it this way, I don't know writing for revenge can be successful or not. But you can just put out your childhood anger towards your elder sibling who bullied you, through your fictions
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
echoesofmj
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echoesofmj.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by echoesofmj »

Hi!

It's not that crazy of a question. I think that as writers, we all use pieces of our lives to fuel our writing. I do use my anger to get my writing better and to make my characters more believable, and if it happens that I have to take inspiration from someone in my life who's made me angry, then why not? I will do it definitely.

In all honesty, the most I have taken from my life was a story based on my current boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend. It was more for myself, so I could truly move on from my ex-boyfriend and focus on my current boyfriend. And while sometimes I find that it's difficult to write too much about your life, it's really helped me to move on with my life and create a story that I am rather proud of.

In the end, I think that anything that fuels your writing is good. Perhaps changing names might be a good idea, but then again, I think that sometimes it's good to keep some details exact. Just so, you know...they can recognize themselves...;)
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I've turned bad bosses into incompetent military commanders in a couple different books...characters in one story are so inept and self-absorbed as to be unbelievable, but they are based on real people. :D
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by JordanKSmith »

My writing can be pretty dark, but I haven't consciously tied anyone besides myself to those characters. I've never really been interested in revenge, so I haven't done any of that kind of writing. For a time, I went in the other direction. I am more prone to a self-hatred based masochism.

Creatively writing those feelings down may not have been a healthy expression. At the time, it was healthier than some alternatives, and I paired it with a lot of shadow work. I am still constantly reworking my internal mechanisms, and it is paying off. I can actually describe myself as happy overall. I'm almost to a semi-normal level of sanity, lol.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Well, out of revenge, no. But, as a way to let off steam, yes. I suppose it's like journalling; writing can be cathartic, no matter what the motivation.
As for the high school reunion, my opinion is to remember that the people who bullied in high school were kids. Stupid ones. They may have grown up in more than just physical ways. A lot of them will have stayed the same, but not all of them. Who cares what they think now? Your worth doesn't depend on them and it never did. Let it go, or sit down and actually tell one or two of them at the reunion what jerks they were in high school. They'll probably apologise or be very embarrassed.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
chamomile

Post by chamomile »

I wrote my first book out of revenge, though I've grown out of the practice. These days I only have one antagonist that bears any resemblance to 'revenge' but since she's the villain, the behaviour isn't exactly encouraged y'know?
WLWright

Post by WLWright »

I did this once long ago but it wasn't a revenge story it was a purge story. I punished the character relentlessly throughout the story and made him such a despicable a person that everyone really did hate him and could barely read it wanting to end him. There was no hero in the story either. But the purge worked pretty well. :)p Beware the poet don't you know it? lol

Return to “Writing Discussion”