Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.
If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.
If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
- Bookshelves Moderator
- Posts: 5408
- Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
- 2017 Reading Goal: 400
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
- Bookshelf Size: 742
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
- Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
- Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
- Location: Lost in My Imagination
"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 01:58
- Bookshelf Size: 0
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-mcd.html
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 26 Apr 2015, 21:58
- Favorite Book: The Fellowship of the Ring
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 9
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html
- Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
My high school reunion is coming up, and if I go, I know I will see my old bullies. I will play it cool, though.
I will not "go postal" and try to beat them up (Lord knows I want to!) I will pretend to be nice and act calm, cool and collected. I doubt the old bullies will even remember me. Back to the post.
I want to write some short stories about my difficult high school years, and I debated with myself as to wither writing about my old bullies will keep me stuck in a place of anger and resentment.
I have a hard time letting things go, obviously. But what really sticks in my craw is that I've heard that my old bullies are now successful people, and I work a regular 9-5 job. I hate it when evil people win.
Hence, all the more need for fiction. Here's my question: If I write these "revenge" stories, will it keep me stuck in anger and resentment? Will it prevent me from moving on? And is it evil to write with bad intent in the first place? I know the standard advice is to "forgive and forget," but I'm not the "forgiving" type.
(No, I'm not a violent person. Just a passive-aggressive person.) Any advice on this subject is welcome.
Thank you all for reading this.
- Brandi Noelle
- Posts: 250
- Joined: 07 Apr 2017, 00:46
- Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
- Bookshelf Size: 73
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
- Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
- Arushi Singh
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 26 Oct 2017, 03:09
- Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
- Bookshelf Size: 32
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
- Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
- Christina O Phillips
- Posts: 321
- Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 10:20
- 2017 Reading Goal: 52
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
- Currently Reading: It
- Bookshelf Size: 1309
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
- Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
- Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
- Location: Lost in a good book
While revenge is not necessarily the reason I write, I do find myself using people who have made fun of me or hurt me and turning them into characters. Sometimes those characters are bad people and sometimes bad things happen to those characters.Wanton_Wordsmith wrote:Here's another of my crazy questions: does use revenge as a reason to write? To get back at everyone who ever laughed at you? Does anyone ever write fictional antagonists based on bad people they knew in life? Based a bad character on a real jerk? Does anyone write fiction to get the angries out of their system? Or is that too passive/aggressive? I like to write horror fiction, and I used some bad experiences from my school days as material for my stories. How do other writers handle bad life experiences? What do other writers handle revenge wishes? Any comments are welcome.