Is writing fiction the tad crazy?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Is writing fiction the tad crazy?

Post by Yicheng Liu »

Sushan wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 14:54 But in the history of literature we have seen some successful authors who had mental disorders and that disorder has actually helped them to succeed. Lewis Carroll who wrote Alice in Wonderland is a good example
I would politely disagree, as I personally think he is a successful author despite being afflicted with a mental illness. Misery and illness is not the secret to good writing. Writing is hard and fundamentally challenging, and putting in tremendous effort for possibly no reward at all do sound a tad eccentric to me.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I don't have schizophrenia, but I know everyone has crazy thoughts here and there.
Sometimes we have weird thoughts, like "I want to steal this thing" or "I want to hurt this person because I'm so angry". Before, I'd even question my own sanity and thought I was going to be a criminal.

It's more common than we think. We can't control our thoughts and feelings and fantasies sometimes, but we can choose to act on it or not. And our choices determine us.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I think the majority of people feel the need to escape from reality. The reason why storytelling is so effective is because we get to relate to characters and live lives other than our own. It's a way of confronting ourselves and learning about the world without boundaries or consequence. Why do people find celebrities so relevant? Because we spend more time fixated on fictional characters they play than perhaps even people in our own lives.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I was working on a paper in college based on Fyodor Dostoevsky and for some reason, I used the analogy of an animal caught in a trap in my paper. I'm not a doctor nor a psychiatrist but I have heard that there are supposed to be links between intelligence and "insanity". Back to the animal in a trap and the means the animal uses to escape from the trap: the smarter they are and the more they know, the more they will try or, in some cases not try, to get out of the trap. Then there's panic which sometimes makes animals behave very stupidly. I ultimately posited that minds keep working to solve problems and even suggested that a mind normally will not even recognize something as a problem unless "it" thinks it can attain a solution. Like a computer buffering, I suppose. Now I remember! Dostoevsky was epileptic and I theorized that his epilepsy may have resulted from his feeling trapped or from his mind constantly buffering. The mind is a bit more complex, of course, than a buffering computer. In such a scenario, would writing to either reduce how many potential problems one notices or to solve problems that already exist be indictive of insanity? I don't know, but if that were the case, at least you are trying, right? Information overload causes the questions, or a genuine concern for safety causes the questions, or the amount of time between two stimuli. Like PTSD causes people to relive the problems they had because something trigged the memory. But, like I said, I'm not a psychiatrist. It does kind of fit in with the definition of schizophrenia in that it means "split mind". I probably don't understand schizophrenia, but I would say that in some cases writing to avoid more problems given certain criteria are met, or writing to solve problems, again given that certain criteria are met, doesn't necessarily point to insanity. Like trying to solve a problem but you have forgotten what the problem is.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Writing Discussion”