Ideas from Dreams

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Re: Ideas from Dreams

Post by fergie »

I once had a dream where I met Aldous Huxley, and I used one of the lines he said in the dream in a book. I still have a horrible feeling that it's probably a line from one of his books though. One day I'll run across it again :-)
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

fergie wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 11:15 I once had a dream where I met Aldous Huxley, and I used one of the lines he said in the dream in a book. I still have a horrible feeling that it's probably a line from one of his books though. One day I'll run across it again :-)
Have you googled it?
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

I used lucid dreaming to try and figure out some world building for a story. It didn't get me *too* far in that direction but I met my main character and that was awesome!
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suetropez »

Dreams are a big boost for me. Some times my dreams help me advance my plot, come up with ways to make the character interesting and sometimes gives me ideas for a new story. Sometimes my dreams are disturbing and they keep me getting a restful night's sleep, but even then, there maybe something in that dream that I can use for the current book that I am working on or the next book.
S.T. Holmes
Life is a dream, reality is what you make of it. :wine:
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

Dreams are a wonderful way to gather ideas. If you mix that with determination to be a good writer, that would be so unique. I am a frequent dreamer, some good, some bad, and I frequently write down ideas from them. We actually only remember dreams when we wake up after them, even if we don't remember waking up. I 've studied them a long time. Hobby sort of and I have learned to listen to them and use them to my advantage. It is interesting to me and if you have another method that works for you, great. I can't wait to read about it.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

What a great topic! I often dream up ideas that feel brilliant in the dream. When I awake, they still feel genius for about 5-10 minutes. Then, when the effects of dreaming wear off, only about 1% of them are actually cool!
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I get a lot of writing ideas from dreaming, whether by day-dreaming or dreaming while I'm sleeping. The thing that is hard for me is expanding upon the dream to make it a coherent and interesting story.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

There's only one story I got from dreams. The other dreams are not really good enough for a story.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Eevia White
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevia-white.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Eevia White »

I'm so glad I read this thread! Now I know I am not the only one who thinks that dreams are a wonderful source of ideas! Indeed, some dreams can be so crazy that they would actually make for a brilliant storyline!

Although I can recall my dreams, they rarely are inspiring enough for a new story... I once or twice tried to tire myself more than normal and sleep very late so my dreams would be even more absurd :shhh: tip: the dreams were vivid but in the end it wasn't worth it so much!

I'll just stick to good old day-dreaming inspiration!
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I wish I could use this method when I hit writer's block. I'm terrible with remembering my dreams. There's been a few times that I remember having a dream, waking up, and thinking what an amazing story that would make. But then I'd fall right back to sleep before I could write down the dream and when I wake up again the idea is completely gone. It's such a bummer. :x
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I do not do it as a habbit to get ideas formy writings. But when I am on something and when I sleep, I see the next scens as dreams and so, I can easily continue with my fiction
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Dreams don't usually help me with my writing since I can't really recall them when I wake up. Most of my ideas come when I daydream while watching an interesting movie scene or while reading a book. My imagination is so random that I could be staring at my dog while he plays and then suddenly! an idea strikes just like that. You just have to free yourself from any distractions and just allow your mind to wander.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Rey de Corazones
Currently Reading: Freedom Is For The Birds
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rey-de-corazones.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Rey de Corazones »

Hi. For me sleep and writing definitely go hand in hand. I've had countless ideas for books thanks to my dreams, though sometimes writing out what you just dreamed about while you're still groggy is a problem. I wake up ready to read what I wrote only to find that it's all nonsensical :mrgreen: sad moments.

Return to “Writing Discussion”