Ideas from Dreams

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
skylarharkless
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylarharkless.html

Re: Ideas from Dreams

Post by skylarharkless »

Dreams are a good source for new ideas. Always keep a journal close by so that you can scribble down your dream after waking--they say you forget about 60% percent after the first few minutes, and then almost all after about half an hour. New ideas can come to you in dreams, sent by God, for your new masterpiece :)
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Your post about keeping a notebook nearby reminds me of a very old (and dated) joke, I think told by one of the Algonquin Table folks, maybe Robert Benchley...

A writer dreamed that he'd suddenly figured out the difference between women and men. He woke, stumbled to his writing desk, and scribbled down the revelation, then went back to bed. The next morning, he excitedly awoke and realized that he'd somehow discovered the truth, and hurried over to his desk to read his great find, and saw this:

Higamous hogamous, women are monogamous -- hogamous higamous, men polygamous.

(hey, I told you it was a dated joke, but it's still funny and pertinent to the topic)
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, I capture my dreams in photographs that are so high-tech that I'm not supposed to own one. But here's one of my more recent dreams.

Let me tell ya--that dream was inspirational.
Attachments
Emily Rose!.jpg
Emily Rose!.jpg (73.03 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
thanhnv
Currently Reading: How many letters you read per minute?

Post by thanhnv »

tôi yêu giấc mơ và tôi yêu luôn cả những gì giấc mơ đem lại
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

thanhnv wrote:tôi yêu giấc mơ và tôi yêu luôn cả những gì giấc mơ đem lại
Thank you! I completely agree.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

Half of my story ideas stem from the dreams I have at night. I'm a highly imaginative person, so even my dreams are realistic and detailed. So in a way, when I want to start a new writing project, I know the story and details even before starting the first page :lol2:
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I actually forgot about my dreams for a while because usually when I wake up, I don't even remember my dreams unfortunately but jotting them down is a really good idea. See, I would jot down whatever crazy and awesome ideas comes to mind when I wake up in the middle of the night but I'm EXTREMELY terrified of the dark to the point that I would force myself to stay in bed (even for hours staying awake) until the sun comes out and by that point, I'd completely forget whatever I thought of.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

My dreams are mostly forgettable, but sometimes they are so intense that I wake with a clear vision of the incident like I was watching a movie. Dream like this can sometimes be worked into one of my stories. The trick for me is figuring out which story or character best fits the situation. I also found the strangest dream always came to me when my wife was pregnant. I'm sure there's some excitement or apprehension my brain is muddling through at those times which leads to the dreams. But its nice to know that if 50 ninjas attack me while at a shopping mall I'm ready for them.
joefowler
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by joefowler »

One of my books came from a dream. I watched a zombie marathon and dreamed of zombies. The dream seemed good enough to turn into a book. It was unusual for me since I don't normally remember my dreams.
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

A lot of my day to day life seeps into my dreams, so oftentimes anything that's inspired by my dreams is inspired by my daily life - as is the case with many writers. However, my dreams can add a new dimension to the plot that they follow whether it's through perspective or through a new setting.

My dreams seem to make for interesting poems :D.
Write your own destiny...
Applelady72
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Applelady72 »

:techie-studyingbrown: I have something I am working on based on a dream, but I am trained in psychoanalysis so I tend to look for the symbolic meaning within the dream. For example, falling is usually a symbol of feeling helpless, screaming with no sound is a symbol of feeling undervalued by those who should care what you have to say. From this I can often create a pretty well formed personality for a character. I keep a journal so I don't lose my thoughts when I wake up.
Purduevol

Post by Purduevol »

I've never written a story from a dream. Maybe I will. I dream in color too but I cannot recall "smells" modern times. I dreamed recently that I assisted two people in crossing over, going into the light. I woke up feeling amazed and somewhat upset. A strange combination of emotions to feel at once.

Has anyone else had a similar dream? I'm curious.
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html

Post by Renee Bella »

Applelady72 wrote::techie-studyingbrown: I have something I am working on based on a dream, but I am trained in psychoanalysis so I tend to look for the symbolic meaning within the dream. For example, falling is usually a symbol of feeling helpless, screaming with no sound is a symbol of feeling undervalued by those who should care what you have to say. From this I can often create a pretty well formed personality for a character. I keep a journal so I don't lose my thoughts when I wake up.
This sounds really interested. I'm quite interested in psychology though it's not something I have studied personally. I would love to learn about dream analysis though.
Write your own destiny...
Yani
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yani.html

Post by Yani »

I don't remember how many times I slept, dreamed, and woke up writing a new draft of story. It never failed to surprise me how the weird chronicle of scenes from my slumber could turn into a unique yet realistic plot.
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

There was a dream I had and I woke up before it ended, so I'm writing it to know the ending.

Return to “Writing Discussion”