Ideas from Dreams

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
anakandwal+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anakandwal.html

Ideas from Dreams

Post by anakandwal+ »

Hi !! I was wondering how many of you love sleeping and dreaming like me. :lol: I love dreaming because it gives me some amazing crazy ideas for new stories. Whenever I face writer's block, a period where I can't jot down even a single word; I sleep and dream. Well, there are times when I wake up and couldn't recall the dream. :| But Most of the times this trick works and it rejuvenate me. So how many of you share the same passion for dreaming? :D :D
deftlyspeaking
Favorite Author: Sonia Sanchez
Currently Reading: 180 Degrees

Post by deftlyspeaking »

For me sleeping and dreaming does nothing to me but help me rest. Ambition to pursue and reach my poetic dreams is what keeps my spirits in a pleasant state. Poetry is my daydream per se, often times, it is when subconscious feelings surface, I must not fight, then the writer's block dies. I too been haunted by the ghosts of creativity zap, so I wear off the storm and continue to write.
anakandwal+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anakandwal.html

Post by anakandwal+ »

deftlyspeaking wrote:For me sleeping and dreaming does nothing to me but help me rest. Ambition to pursue and reach my poetic dreams is what keeps my spirits in a pleasant state. Poetry is my daydream per se, often times, it is when subconscious feelings surface, I must not fight, then the writer's block dies. I too been haunted by the ghosts of creativity zap, so I wear off the storm and continue to write.

hey nice to know about your view. The zeal you have to follow your poetical ambition is quite inspiring. :)
iekelek23
Currently Reading: Tabloid Love
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iekelek23.html

Post by iekelek23 »

I love dreaming, Anakandwal! I also get a few ideas in dreams--sometimes really crazy, sometimes not quite enough for a story by themselves...what is the craziest you've ever had, if you don't mind sharing, and did you end up writing about it? I used to keep a notepad and pen next to my bed for when I woke up in the wee hours with an idea...
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

anakandwal+ wrote:Hi !! I was wondering how many of you love sleeping and dreaming like me. :lol: I love dreaming because it gives me some amazing crazy ideas for new stories. Whenever I face writer's block, a period where I can't jot down even a single word; I sleep and dream. Well, there are times when I wake up and couldn't recall the dream. :| But Most of the times this trick works and it rejuvenate me. So how many of you share the same passion for dreaming? :D :D
Um, I LOVE dreaming, OMG! For me, it's a secondary world full of friends and guides and multiple dreamscape worlds. I think dreaming can help with anything, including writer's block, because if you let your subconscious mind go to work on something, such as "What should I write about?" then it will come up with an answer! Seriously, I don't care how crazy this makes me sound--I have friends in my dreams who I don't know in real life. It's pretty much my second reality, my second home.
anitaymoore
Favorite Author: Too many to choose
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitaymoore.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by anitaymoore »

Hi, I have recurring dreams that are actually the premise for stories I am writing. Granted, I am not a published author and am new to writing (I normally do cover art for books) but I realized one day that my dreams had been tap, tap, tapping away at me. When I finally sat down and began writing the stories began to unfold more and more for me. Not usually in my dreams anymore but the dreams were certainly the beginning for me.
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

I've gotten a few ideas from dreams. I find it amazing because those ideas from our subconscious can be so much more interesting and original than the cliche topics that always come to mind. If there's writers block, there's nothing a good old dream can't fix! XD
Z0_happy

Post by Z0_happy »

I get book ideas from dreams a lot. But then I have to problem of making it into a whole story. Which then causes more writers block.
anitaymoore

Post by anitaymoore »

Z0_happy wrote:I get book ideas from dreams a lot. But then I have to problem of making it into a whole story. Which then causes more writers block.
I agree that could be a problem. I am lucky in that I dream about my stories at times...so I have more than one clip to work with. The dreams sometimes help me see what comes next. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to take simply one dream and stretch it into a story, that would take someone far more talented than I :)
zanderlyrose
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by zanderlyrose »

I love dreaming, and the ideas I get from dreams. I need to remember to put a notebook on my bedside table though.
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

I can relate to zeldas_lullaby in that dreams are my second reality... I have always been a vivid dreamer, and I remember my dreams every night. I can remember dreams that I had when I was four years old! Sometimes it feels like I am tapping into some universal subconscious. I am pretty impressed with my brain's nighttime directing skills lol.

I have used dreams as the nugget of an idea or line for a poem, but I haven't yet based a whole story on a dream, although I have had plenty of strange ideas from dreams, especially for sci-fi and fantasy worlds. I agree with zanderlyrose that any aspiring writer or vivid dreamer should keep a dream diary. Sometimes a story could emerge when you go back and read it. Dreams are also a great way to solve problems in your life.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Good topic.

I am one of those people who dreams highly complex and plotted dreams, in full color and with Dolby surround sound. And I'm not exaggerating -- I dreamed that I was at a baseball game at the Houston Astros ballpark, and I was taking the escalator up to my seating area. I populated my dream with hundreds of fans, all races, sizes, ages, just like a real crowd. I could hear the public address system announcing the lineups, and could smell the popcorn and burgers and so on. Every detail was precise. That's how most of my dreams are.

I even cast real actors in my dreams. A common actor is Bruce Willis. Sometimes he's my friend and is the actual person and sometimes he's my friend as a character in a story that I'm dreaming. I write mysteries so I dream a lot of action dreams, and Bruce is a good guy to have on your side, ha ha.

I also dream a lot of Star Trek episodes, where I'm in the TNG w. Captain Picard and all. I'm usually a science officer (my formal education was in chemistry and math and biology) and so I'm a techie first class. These dreams are pretty exciting.

So somehow my subconscious creates a very entertaining story for me to dream, highly complex with all the bells and whistles that a real movie might have. Needless to say when my dreams are scary, they're really horrific.

I however don't get story ideas from my dreams, other than maybe to have my character suffer a nightmare and then I use my own bad dream memories for that.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
ladyankh39
Currently Reading: Renegades of Pern
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyankh39.html

Post by ladyankh39 »

I usually just get my ideas out of whatever happens in my life and the people and
characters I get to meet. Then I incorporate that stuff into my
story lines and simply let my characters set the pace for
the way the story goes.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Same here, lady. I just started a new thread about applying real events that we experience to our fiction. I often weave real life events and stories into my novels.

I did write a horror story called "The Stump" from a dream I had. The dream was vivid and dealt with the topic of the story title, "stump" being not a tree stump but the truncated leg of a person. Believe me, the dream was scary and so was the short story. It was published years back in a horror anthology.

Other than this, I can't remember anything that I've used from my dreams.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
anitaymoore

Post by anitaymoore »

Just last night was a good example for how my dreams help me. I had been pondering a story I am writing, basically what was coming next and was stymied on how to proceed. I had a basic idea but in my dream it played out in vivid Technicolor. I woke remembering it and made notes so the dream wouldn't evaporate....it was exactly what I needed.

Return to “Writing Discussion”