Do your hands hurt when your write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Do your hands hurt when your write?

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

My hand hurt when I write by hand but I don't have any problems with typing.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

They do hurt when I write with my hands, but not when I type.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

In response to the subject question: No, lol. I write on my laptop and smartphone these days because it's more convenient. I get so frustrated when writing in my notebook because it doesn't allow me to undo and redo things that I have erased or torn up XDD I write ideas, outlines and character profiles in notebooks though. As far as any actual writing goes I'm modernized. What hurts these days are my eyes.

I suppose it's better to get a few aches in the wrist than to damage my eyesight though.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I do most of my writing on my laptop these days, as I type over 100 WPM and can get my thoughts down faster. However, I miss the days of handwriting my work. I filled endless notebooks with stories and poetry as a kid and received a healthy pen callous on my middle finger as a result. I was always kind of proud of that because it was visible proof of my passion.
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

Terri2 wrote:Do your hands hurt when your write a lot? Do they hurt when you write by hand? Do they hurt when you type?

What do you do to try and keep them from hurting or cramping?
To the OP:

There are times when my hands hurt. It doesn't matter what I'm doing (typing, writing, drawing, pottery).

The main thing I've learned: treat any pain like a sports injury.
Your hands are made up tons of little muscles, tendons, and bones so it doesn't take much to cause stress and injury. Like any sports injury treat with cooling or heating and then adjust to prevent injury again. This can mean wearing compression gloves/sleeves, stretching, or using an ice pack before or after activity.

I know I sound like a granny but I've stressed my hands a lot. I worked in extreme temperatures that caused muscle stress and the vibrations from tools that caused joint stress. Of course, no one cared to use optional safety gear because only newbs did that (so wrong). No one told me otherwise until later when I met a teacher who actually cared to teach me preventive measures (like the ones mentioned above). So I care too, especially since so much of it can be minimalized or outright avoided.
Brandi Noelle wrote:I do most of my writing on my laptop these days, as I type over 100 WPM and can get my thoughts down faster. However, I miss the days of handwriting my work. I filled endless notebooks with stories and poetry as a kid and received a healthy pen callous on my middle finger as a result. I was always kind of proud of that because it was visible proof of my passion.
100WPM! That's awesome and I'm a bit jealous, I usually only get around the 80's unless I'm hyperfocused. I also remember when I had callous from writing (and painting)! Some people thought it was a wart, I would get so offended Dx
When I started pottery I lost my callouses. Working with wet clay made it hard to keep. But I still have my slightly misshapen fingers that perfectly hold pens, brushes, etc as evidence of my craft.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

writing is a tiresome exercise. I have to stop writing for a while when my hands hurt. Typing is somewhat comfortable. But still it also causes hurting of hands and only option is to rest a while
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

My right hand does hurt by the time I'm done writing - just from overuse and writing a ton.
My hands don't hurt when typing but my left hand is having a workout the entire time - it is slow and tired, trying hard to keep up with the right hand.
(I have ataxia on the entire left side of my body)
I did OT for years, I sometimes still do small exercises to help my left hand, although I'm not sure how much it helps.
There is this app called Smule Piano which is fun - I do that with my left hand.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

If I'm writing for a long time with a pen, then yes, my hand would hurt. I don't have that issue typing on a phone.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

I have learnt to write in different ways by placing the pen in different position between the hands. Maybe, it can work for you.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Oh yes. I remember when I started writing more frequently, my hands were sore and I was freaking out because I thought I'd have to sacrifice a pain free hand to write. But thankfully, the more I did it, the less my hand hurt because those muscles and joints got stronger.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

My hands don't hurt when I type and the only time they hurt when I'm writing by hand is when I'm in an examination and I rush because I don't want to run out of time. Sometimes they'll cramp up and they'll stay in the same position as when I had my pen in my hand. It kinda makes me laugh.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Depending on how long and or how much I have written yes, my hands to tend to hurt at times. Plus I am really double jointed in my hands and fingers so there are other times when my fingers will completely lock up and i have to rub them out.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Mamatah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mamatah »

Yes. Writing long essays or stories can hurt your hands.but when you decide to write something which is more interesting to you, you never feel it when your hands hurt.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

They hurt a lot when I write on paper, so I write in my phone. It doesn't hurt except very rarely.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

When I write with a pen for too long, yes, but nowadays I write most everything on my laptop
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Return to “Writing Discussion”