Do your hands hurt when your write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Do your hands hurt when your write?

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia » 11 Oct 2017, 11:39

My hand hurt when I write by hand but I don't have any problems with typing.

meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 » 11 Oct 2017, 11:57

They do hurt when I write with my hands, but not when I type.

eelavahs-jay
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by eelavahs-jay » 16 Oct 2017, 08:53

In response to the subject question: No, lol. I write on my laptop and smartphone these days because it's more convenient. I get so frustrated when writing in my notebook because it doesn't allow me to undo and redo things that I have erased or torn up XDD I write ideas, outlines and character profiles in notebooks though. As far as any actual writing goes I'm modernized. What hurts these days are my eyes.

I suppose it's better to get a few aches in the wrist than to damage my eyesight though.

Brandi Noelle
2018 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by Brandi Noelle » 26 Oct 2017, 13:28

I do most of my writing on my laptop these days, as I type over 100 WPM and can get my thoughts down faster. However, I miss the days of handwriting my work. I filled endless notebooks with stories and poetry as a kid and received a healthy pen callous on my middle finger as a result. I was always kind of proud of that because it was visible proof of my passion.

Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1077
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne » 26 Oct 2017, 16:35

Terri2 wrote:Do your hands hurt when your write a lot? Do they hurt when you write by hand? Do they hurt when you type?

What do you do to try and keep them from hurting or cramping?
To the OP:

There are times when my hands hurt. It doesn't matter what I'm doing (typing, writing, drawing, pottery).

The main thing I've learned: treat any pain like a sports injury.
Your hands are made up tons of little muscles, tendons, and bones so it doesn't take much to cause stress and injury. Like any sports injury treat with cooling or heating and then adjust to prevent injury again. This can mean wearing compression gloves/sleeves, stretching, or using an ice pack before or after activity.

I know I sound like a granny but I've stressed my hands a lot. I worked in extreme temperatures that caused muscle stress and the vibrations from tools that caused joint stress. Of course, no one cared to use optional safety gear because only newbs did that (so wrong). No one told me otherwise until later when I met a teacher who actually cared to teach me preventive measures (like the ones mentioned above). So I care too, especially since so much of it can be minimalized or outright avoided.
Brandi Noelle wrote:I do most of my writing on my laptop these days, as I type over 100 WPM and can get my thoughts down faster. However, I miss the days of handwriting my work. I filled endless notebooks with stories and poetry as a kid and received a healthy pen callous on my middle finger as a result. I was always kind of proud of that because it was visible proof of my passion.
100WPM! That's awesome and I'm a bit jealous, I usually only get around the 80's unless I'm hyperfocused. I also remember when I had callous from writing (and painting)! Some people thought it was a wart, I would get so offended Dx
When I started pottery I lost my callouses. Working with wet clay made it hard to keep. But I still have my slightly misshapen fingers that perfectly hold pens, brushes, etc as evidence of my craft.

Return to “Writing Discussion”