Favorite part of writing a review?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Favorite part of writing a review?

Post by Amagine »

My favorite part of writing a view is being able to give my honest opinion on something and not being forced to lie about how I feel. I'm a hard reader to please and when I don't llike something, I'm very vocal about it. I find it interesting how everyone writes in different styles. I admit I'm one who writes in the "high school" way as one reviewer termed it. That's simply my writing style. I tend to write my stories the same way as well. My reviews are usually very opinionated and sarcastic but I enjoy being able to write the way that I am the most comfortable with.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

Favorite part? That would be sharing my feelings about a book and having others wanting to discuss it with me or be influenced to read it for themselves. Also, sharing my review is an opportunity to give praise to the author(if warranted). Least favorite? Writing a negative review. I know authors, for the most part, must put a lot of time and effort into their books, and its hard for me to say that that their efforts (in my opinion) have fallen short. However, it is important give fair and honest feedback which can be used for improvement in the future.
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

I think my favorite part is getting to write about another author's work in a way that draws readers to it. My least favorite part is having to rate the book because I think readers all have very different tastes. All the same, I still try to be objective and have an open mind when I point out parts that I liked and didn't like. I think as a reader, you get to know what is good, even if you don't enjoy the genre. For example, I can't say that I read much historical fiction, but I do know that history plays a big part and that facts and oftentimes characterization is a large part of the plot. So I can make a guess as to how readers who enjoy that genre might perceive the book I'm reviewing.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

ALynnPowers wrote:I like getting free books out of it. 8)
:D :D :D
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Expressing my thoughts and discussing them with fellow reviewers who have the same passion for reading as me. Also, helping aspiring, talented writers getting the recognition they deserve.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Everything about review writing is okay except adhering to set of rools always. Anyway rools should be there yet, I feel quite restricted
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

My favorite part by far is crafting the introduction and ending to my review. I like to have a creative start so the reader is drawn right in and then I like for the finish to come full circle back to the beginning. I consider it stretching my creative bones and I love doing that so much.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

My favourite part is when I am concluding the review by giving the rating, wow! I feel good by giving my own verdict. But when I am giving the plot summary I feel exhaustive because I always want to acquire the best mark.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

My favourite part would be when I start talking about how I feel about the book
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

My favorite part is trying to lift an author up. I'm someone who can find something I like in most of what I read, so even though a book might be universally hated, I'll be the one person who might like it. It seems like today, most of the reviews are bought or traded for. Even if no one will admit it, you can always tell an indie author with hundreds of 4 and 5 star reviews didn't get them from people who spontaneously decided to leave them. Most indie authors only get feedback from the haters. So I kind of like being the one to make someone's day by leaving a positive comment. Too, it makes it easier to take the criticism if the reviewer recognizes the positive alongside it.

What I don't like about it is when you see other authors out there leaving negative reviews on their competition, hoping it drives traffic away from other authors and towards their books. It feels like today, just about everyone wants nothing but to trash the next guy, and when I see other authors destroying each other's efforts, it leaves me with just a little less faith in humanity.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

My least favorite and most favorite part of writing a review are one and the same thing. Trying to make a review as perfect as I can and then obsessively editing, re-editing, ad nauseum. :geek2:
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Though, I am still having slight issues with generating higher percentage score on the reviews that I have written. Other than that I like all parts of writing reviews. For me knowing that I am going to write my opinion about the book informing other individuals about what the novel is about, discussing what I like and dislike about the book makes me put forth that much more effort to not take anything that I have read lightly and to reach deeper inside my thoughts and feelings in order to give the best unbias review within my ability. Along, with it being a learning lesson to myself as far as, correct punctuations, proper grammar, correct spelling, spacing drafting and all the great thing that come along with writing for an audience to see.
Chelsea N. Hackett
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I think my favorite part of doing book reviews is discovering new books for myself to read, and then sharing those books with others. I enjoy the process of reading and taking notes on elements of the story, and naturally, I greatly enjoy the writing. Sometimes it's difficult trying to convey what I have to say, but that's part of the fun of writing. It's also how I find myself growing within my writing.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

My reason is a bit selfish. I've never been a very good writer, but I do enjoy the process. I'm trying to sharpen my ability to write by reading as many books as possible. Writing the reviews helps me to take note of good and bad ways to write. I kind of consider this site to be a college course that pays me. I'm pretty happy that I came across it.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I really enjoy meditating about the author's message, and how the characters give voice to it.

Return to “Writing Discussion”