Do you ever have no ideas?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Re: Do you ever have no ideas?

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

For me the problem is never a necessity for ideas, but difficulty focusing on just ONE idea at a time! :lol: The many little scenarios, characters, nonfiction themes, and verses that flood my brain don't always seem to be solid roots for a completely drawn out piece, but I like a challenge, so I try to just go with the current of the stream. :wink:
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

pygmy_ghost1982 wrote:Usually I have ideas, but I get stuck in a scene that kinda fizzles out and I have to stare at the work until I figure out how to bring the energy back into it. Typically this happens when I know what is going to happen next and I want to be working on what happens next and not the fizzling scene I'm wrestling with.
Let me recommend a technique I use when stuck as you describe. I simply skip ahead in my story and write a totally different section (or at least start it). I generally know what the overall story of my novel I'm writing will be, and I have already jotted down various critical plot items that I want to include. So if I'm a bit stuck on, say, Chapter 5 I just start "Chapter 12" (the big fight scene or whatever) and write that sequence. Later, I find that I can easily return to the "sticking place" (as Lady Macbeth says) and continue. I tend to jump around in my novel quite a bit as I'm genning up the plot lines, and it allows me to remain fresh.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

When I don't have any ideas I meditate. Then I come back to writing refreshed and find I have all kinds of ideas now to write about. Clearing my mind works wonders for my creative process.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

moderntimes:

Your tips are very helpful! You're an asset to all of us amateurs! :D :D :D
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, compared to many, I'm an amateur too. Maybe I'm just a bit farther on in the trail, is all. But thanks.
Fary
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fary.html

Post by Fary »

Whenever that happens I always give myself a break from writing because I feel it cramps my style. Your thoughts should flow, they shouldn't be forced. Writing is an art not an everyday chore. At least that's what it feels to me.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I have ADD so never having an idea...or song, in my head is something I don't really experience. As for being stuck in a part of my current WIP I usually work on the outline for another story for an hour or preferably watch an old movie that is in the same genre and think of ways to change the story. This usually gets me thinking of new ideas for my own story and I continue writing. My last resort I to write out of order, meaning I write a later part of the novel then come back when I know what I want to say.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

KS, same as I do, with the writing out of order. There's no reason for anyone to write a novel in consecutive order anyway, if it doesn't work for the author. I do this all the time, and then I simply go back and fill in the missing chapters. I don't necessarily change the story but I also don't restrain myself, "requiring" that I stick to any pre-thought story line. I remain flexible about plot details and so long as I am writing a fairly coherent novel overall plot, I'm open to random urges to change sub-plots within the novel.

The exact same thing happened to me while writing my 3rd novel -- I had a "home invasion" sequence mapped out, and then I discarded it in favor of another plot tweak. Happens all the time.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Actually, I have never had zero ideas. I usually always have SOMETHING even if it is just terrible. It is funny how some of what seems like the worst ideas at first can morph into something good if I just go ahead and give it a try instead of waiting for the PERFECT idea. haha. I am kind of a spaz so my mind is all over the place. It works to my advantage sometimes, because I just jump to working on something else naturally which gives other areas a rest. So when I return to it I am relaxed and refreshed around it versus still staring at the seemingly exhausted and dead end scene. In jumping to other sections, and returning later I end up finding ideas to fill in the gaps along the way. I have never been a straight through beginning to end kind of writer. I just kind of put what I can down, and then go back in and expand and/or breakdown scenes later.
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

I have a great imagination so I don't suffer from that problem. I do suffer from the problem that I don't set aside time to write (also known as procrastination) and when I do I spend most of my time researching stuff on the internet and end-up with just a paragraph.

However, brainstorming is a great way to get ideas for writing. You can do that by yourself or with a friend or a group of friends. So you take a piece of paper and write down the first thing that comes to mind (doesn't even have to make sense) don't force it don't worry about punctuation, spelling, grammar or anything.

Trampoline, country, soda, dog, pick-up truck

Then if nothing else comes to mind try to construct a sentence with these words in it.

The dog jumped on the trampoline when the soda exploded inside the pick-up truck.

If nothing else comes up start over or try to put a reason why the soda exploded (IE too hot) and make some assumptions to location the South during Summer or perhaps an unusual Summer in Alaska or perhaps some strange supernatural event made the soda explode.

Hope this helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Well I...ah, forget it. It's gone. :roll:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

That has happened a lot with me when I want to write poetry and especially without a prompt. It's like I have gone blank and I have no ideas!
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I've had several ideas for other books while I'm in the middle of writing my trilogy. Whether I'll still want to do something with these ideas - or even remember them - when I've finished is another thing. I probably should write then down, but I don't. I suppose the answer to the actual question is a simple no.
Mariah Porter
Favorite Author: Shannon Hale
Favorite Book: Goose Girl and the Fablehaven series
Currently Reading: Mistborn+Sky Jumpers+Wild Swans
fav_author_id: 4972

Post by Mariah Porter »

I generally have too many ideas! Even in the middle of NaNoWriMo I get more ideas for more novels. I've only been writing with the longterm in mind for about two years, but I counted the other day and I have 35 novel ideas that are either started or ready to be started at any time!
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

rssllue wrote:Well I...ah, forget it. It's gone. :roll:
Lol :D Same happens with me and I get so frustrated when this happens
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now: