Do you ever have no ideas?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Do you ever have no ideas?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I usually think to write when I have the idea, not the other way around. So I don't have that experience
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
echoesofmj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echoesofmj.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by echoesofmj »

Honestly, wanting to write but having no idea is probably the worst. It's like your fingers are itching to write, but you just can't think of anything remotely interesting to write about.

What I do when that happens is I mostly try to do something else. Most of the time, I either watch TV or read a book. Also, I have a lot of manuscripts that I work on but that are not finished. Sometimes, I go back and I begin to read one from the beginning, and that gives me the little push I needed to finally be able to write!
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

I have my “Inspiration Folder.” Any time I get an interesting idea or text snippet pop into my head that isn’t related to my current project, it goes in there. I also have a section for historical figures and mythological stories that fascinate me, as well as my favorite writing prompts I’ve pulled off the Internet. Most of the prompts come from either Pinterest or the writing prompts subreddit.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

Often when I'm out of ideas I note down some character ideas or settings that I would like to write about, without thinking of the actual plotline. Often this can help to stir something in my mind to think of some plot ideas!

When this fails I often read other people's work to get my creativity flowing. I have to admit I will often look at fanfiction as there are many amazing writers who use this genre and there are some really creative storylines out there. Usually, this will help me to come up with my own ideas and I can get started again!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
LisaGreen

Post by LisaGreen »

Having no idea is never happen in life. A person who surviving will always have any idea for him/her.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

I usually sit down at the last scene and just try to brainstorm various possibilities for where the next would go. Even if it's not perfect, I can write something and change it later.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I always have ideas. My problem is keeping them together like the beginning, the climax and the end. And, I usually sum up the idea when I write. I have difficulties in elaborating. So, I end up writing poetry.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I always have ideas, the problem is when I finish a project, and none of those ideas jumps out at me as the next project.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

Yes, more than I would like to admit. Because I love working with visual images and building from that, I do what I call the 'three word method'. I ask someone for three random words and then I try to come up with an idea based on those three words. It helps me a lot and, most of the times, because the words are so random, the ideas they generate are unique and very unexpected. :) I once had to work with clementine, airplane and fire haha
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

When I don't have any ideas immediately available, I either write straight up stream-of-consciousness or I'll find or create an exercise to get the juices flowing. I particularly enjoy exercises in the style of oulipo poetry.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

This happens to me all the time. I know the best solution is to just write about anything and everything, but I struggle doing that too. I really need to devise a routine for myself and stick to it. I want to become a published author, but I'm my own worst enemy and keep getting in the way of myself.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

I've been told to lower my standards when I have no clue what to write. I think there might have been a Ted Talk about this.

Anyways, if I still can't write anything, I lower my standards even more, and more, and more. Sometimes, this leads me to write nonsensical gibberish, but it gets me started. Eventually, as I continue writing the gibberish, it starts to reconstitute itself into something coherent.

Other times, when I want something to write, I will throw darts at a mental dartboard that is filled with topics. After hitting a few topics, I'll try writing about the connections between the objects or ideas. I think that it builds my ability to find associations which is a useful tool for writing descriptions of things.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

It happens. And when it does I take a book and use a paragraph as a "warmer-upper". I write it out using other words and change ideas as I go along until I have something completely new.
I don't know why but it seems to iron out the knots in my brain.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
chamomile

Post by chamomile »

I do have an idea dump document which I visit every so often to add or refine some concepts I had in mind so I never really run out of ideas.

But not knowing what to write is a whole other problem. Word vomits never work out, it's a pain to sift through and it's so bland I couldn't be bothered to read it. Usually I go edit my previous chapters, sometimes endlessly. Or a more productive solution, I read up on the type of voice I'm going for then specifically imagine the words I'm going to use rather than the actual scene. I find it helps a lot to start with a character's narrative quip!
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis »

I actually have a slightly different problem. I have ideas, but I don't have enough time to put my hind end in a chair and make a story of them. My days tend to be full, and my time often belongs to other people.
“Truth wasn't something you went out and found. It was wide and vast and deep and unending, and all you could hope to see was a tiny part of it. And to see that part and to mistake it for the whole was to make of Truth a lie.”
― Margaret Weis

Return to “Writing Discussion”