Do you then work your way to a different level?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Kellylynn444
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellylynn444.html

Do you then work your way to a different level?

Post by Kellylynn444 »

How do you guys right? I am writing for a young age right now and thinking about moving to a little bit of older children. Do you stay at a certain age and then work your way up when your comfortable?
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I think it would be different for each writer. Some people write for a certain genre and never even start at a younger age. I've always written YA, and I have no desire to write for a younger or older audience.

Keep working on it and do what is comfortable for you.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I approach it by writing what I would be interested in reading, then seeing what category it fits. I am in my thirties but the stories I write tens to be Young Adult and early twenties. Understand that is takes a different mind-set to write for different age groups. There are things that are only understood when a person has experienced enough life. I person who write adult novels may not be able to write a novel for teens if they cannot think at their level. A university professor would have a difficult time in a grade three class.

I love adult suspense and adventure novels, but have not thought of a story I would like to write myself. Most people have a category the like the most whether it be genre, age or some other category. Do what pleases you most, but don't be afraid to test the waters of other areas. Good luck and have fun with your writing.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I don't write young reader stories -- all of mine are for adults -- but I don't think there's any sort of "progression" or "levels" of writing for young people. Writing for young kids vs for teens is of course different but either can be just as difficult or challenging.

Of course you may wish to start a series of books in which the characters grow up, and you gradually bring the readers along. This would be a great sort of writing, as I see it. I'm certain it's been done before but the concept is still a good one.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

moderntimes wrote:I don't write young reader stories -- all of mine are for adults -- but I don't think there's any sort of "progression" or "levels" of writing for young people. Writing for young kids vs for teens is of course different but either can be just as difficult or challenging.

Of course you may wish to start a series of books in which the characters grow up, and you gradually bring the readers along. This would be a great sort of writing, as I see it. I'm certain it's been done before but the concept is still a good one.
I definitely agree with you on this one.

Writing a book for children should be just as challenging as writing for adults. You have to keep the language/vocabulary simple enough, yet challenging enough so that they can improve their reading skills, all while giving an entertaining story so that they will want to read the book in the first place. And children's books also have to appeal to adults too, because they are the ones who are going to give the books to their kids to read in the first place. Now that I have pointed all of this out, I don't think that I want to write children's books! :shock:
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

At this point, I think my work could only be called young adult. That is because I write stuff I would want to read in a style I often read, and I am a young adult. But I don't do it on purpose. Basically, I think you write first and then figure out who would want to read what you write.
But on working your way up, I can see how that would work too. With the way I write, I will probably be writing things that would be better for adults than young adults in a few years. Still, it looks like you're choosing your audience a lot more methodically than me. I love it when people have concrete goals as to who they want to write for or what they want to write like that. Personally, I just go with the flow.
E_Hunter

Post by E_Hunter »

It would be different for each writer I imagine. I'm writing both YA and NA at the moment. I like to bounce back and forth.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I don't know it it's like a ladder. For me, I write about middle schoolers, and I feel unqualified to write about/for younger people, and I feel that it would be difficult for me to write about older people.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I agree, that it just depends on the individual writer. I like to write for different ages because I don't want to feel like I'm stuck in a box. I write for young children, older children and teen/YA. I don't write for adults, that's one field I haven't dived in yet but someday I will. I guess like the title says, I work my way to a different level.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Writing Discussion”