Favorite Creative Writing Exercises?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Favorite Creative Writing Exercises?

Post by elivia05 »

GKerr wrote: 30 May 2018, 09:14 One of the exercises my university tutors set was based on photos.
You chose one photo with a person in and one with a setting then construct a narrative based on the two photos. Writing from prompts is one of the easiest ways I have found to begin writing, especially if you are stuck for an idea.
We did several of these exercises in my creative writing classes. They really help get thoughts flowing
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I have a couple... The first is using writing prompts. I love taking something and turning it into a story. These might be a series of words that I must create a story around, or it might be someones idea left dangling out there asking for completion.
The second is to take a story I've read and write the next couple of chapters. This works well with short stories. And it can be lots of fun. Of course you would not be able to do anything with it as far as publishing is concerned unless you substantially alter it so it is in no way similar to the original.
A third way, would be to take a story such as Tom Sawyer and introduce something different... Aliens land, a witch kidnaps Tom, Jim becomes a robot. The changes can be endless, it just takes a bit of imagination, and start writing.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I suggest trying out the writingexercises.co.uk website, there are a lot of prompts there for writing exercise. I especially like the "first dialogue" prompt there.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I look out for writing prompts or read a poetry and write a story about it.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I like picking out a title from unread books my recommended in Goodreads without looking at the descriptions and writing a story from it!
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I once did an exercise where you will write literally anything in the night. Sometimes it can be tough simply because you have so many options.
FelDee
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feldee.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by FelDee »

KS Crooks wrote: 17 Apr 2015, 19:46 I like to review a book I read or re-watch a movie and think of an alternate storyline or ending. For example in Divergent what if Tris joined Erudite with her brother or at the end of The Hunger Games Katniss shoves the berries into Peta's mouth at the last second.

This made me laugh out loud. 😁 Just picturing Katniss shoving berries into Peta's face makes me chuckle. Is that weird?

Something that I will do is think up an epic random fight scene or and intense argument between two people.
Tell the truth, or at least don't lie.
~Jordan Peterson, PhD~
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I also got another where you take a character or characters out of a story and input them in another setting or story without changing them into other characters.
creativedesiress
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by creativedesiress »

One good exercise is to look at a magazine and choose five things in it (example: a blue car, a dog, a child holding ice cream, a sign that says "sale", and a light bulb). Then, you have to challenge yourself to write a story with these things that you've found in the magazine. You could even watch TV or browse the internet instead of using a magazine :)
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

There are two exercises I usually do when I find that I'm in a slump aka the dreaded Writer's block. The first is originally from screenwriting, it's where you take an existing story and flip the narrative. For example, making the good guy in the original story a villain and making the villain the good guy. It often yields interesting results. The second exercise is having the character write a letter to someone, this usually helps me to better understand the character and their relationships with various people while also allowing me to get a better grasp on a character's narrative voice.

Return to “Writing Discussion”