Favorite Creative Writing Exercises?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Thinkswithink
Favorite Author: Chuck Palahniuk
Favorite Book: John Dies at the End
Currently Reading: Eats Shoots and Leaves
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2812

Favorite Creative Writing Exercises?

Post by Thinkswithink »

I have a book called "Naming the World" Edited by Bret Anthony Johnston. Recommended to me by one of my favorite teachers it has an amazing handful of writing exercises for people who just need to get the juices flowing.

I wanted to create a forum where people could share their favorite writing exercises.

Here is one of mine:

Go to one of your favorite books and pick out a sentence that stands out to you.
Then start a whole new story with that sentence.
tamara_mc41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Post by tamara_mc41 »

I like the 10 minute challenge
you have ten minutes to write a story. based on a random sentence.
we did it every day in creative writing class.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

With a friend, write a story together, one word at a time, alternating turns choosing the next word.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I like the writing prompts I have found on different computer writing sites. Sometimes the prompts give me ideas for where to go with the stories I'm trying to write if I get stuck or they give me ideas for new things to add to my stories.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I once gave my friend a random "first sentence" and a random "final sentence" that she had to use to start and end her story. I never read the story, but I can only imagine that it was pretty insane. I should remind her of that, actually. 8)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, this isn't exciting, but it'll have to do for 3:00 in the morning. I just send someone an email about my day and narrate it with dialogue and scandal ("committed another hit and run!") and intrigue ("No, you can't wear sandals with clubbed feet.") and irrelevance ("so, how are we distantly related again? Does that mean I'm not entitled to your kidney?") and absurdity ("Yeah, they caught me two blocks later.") and seriousness ("No, you're not my only call. I get another one.") and levity ("Can you make bail for me?") and emotional support ("It's OK, Mother. I already have an arrest record.") and salutations ("Up yours.").

Feel free to use that--just remove what I put in quotes and fill it in your own way.
Rabidwerewolfie
Favorite Author: Kirstin Bakis
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rabidwerewolfie »

The zoom in/out is my favorite. But that's because I love to write in excessive detail and that helps to get it out of my system LOL
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I like to review a book I read or re-watch a movie and think of an alternate storyline or ending. For example in Divergent what if Tris joined Erudite with her brother or at the end of The Hunger Games Katniss shoves the berries into Peta's mouth at the last second.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

KS Crooks wrote:I like to review a book I read or re-watch a movie and think of an alternate storyline or ending. For example in Divergent what if Tris joined Erudite with her brother or at the end of The Hunger Games Katniss shoves the berries into Peta's mouth at the last second.
I'd probably think that you're completely brilliant... but I'm actually unfamiliar with both story lines. The thing about the berries sounds great, though!
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Never read Hunger Games either -- I don't read YA stuff.

Long ago while taking creative writing classes I'd have various exercises tossed at me during class assignments. But in the real world, they seem artificial. Authors need to be able to write straight ahead on their subject and charge forward with the actual real novel or essay or whatever.

Want a great writing exercise? Try what I did: Having your newspaper editor assign you a dull as dust story to write and you better darn have it ready by the time that the paper goes to bed, too! By "go to bed" I don't mean the actual starting of the newspaper presses -- the article or interview or whatever you wrote is long since digested by the big machines in the basement. I mean the submission deadline when your editor comes over and says "Got that city council meeting done?" And the answer better be yes.

Or be on assignment and phone in a sports story w. accurate results (this was before PCs and email) and know that your story and game / race / event results will be read the next morning by a few thousand sleepy sports fans. The paper won't wait for you, either. That story has to be ready to dictate or fas before deadline.

After those experiences, I never had to subject myself to another artificial exercise. The real writing had taken over for sure.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel

Post by teacher_jane1 »

From John Gardner the great creative writing professor: describe a barn as seen by a man whose just lost his son in a war. You cannot say anything about war or death; the audience will not know what happened, or even if anything happened. Just describe through someone else's eyes. SO HARD.
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Excellent comment, teach.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

teacher_jane1 wrote:From John Gardner the great creative writing professor: describe a barn as seen by a man whose just lost his son in a war. You cannot say anything about war or death; the audience will not know what happened, or even if anything happened. Just describe through someone else's eyes. SO HARD.
Ooh, ooh, I'll play:

My barn, with its flaking paint, its rusty doors that screech when you open or close them, and its hayloft... I never cared for the silly hayloft, it was never more to me than a place to dump hay, but... My wife wants me to rent it out, you know, for storage. The whole barn. She says it's wasted space. I bet she'd be even happier if I just torched it to collect the insurance money. I threatened to do that once and she just gave me a look.

I gaze up at the hayloft. No one's there, but I can barely hear laughter, a giggle, a squeal, and then silence. So empty. But the sun is shining into it, and motes of dust are trapped in its beam. Trapped, as if they're caught between parallel universes and are unsure if they want to join ours or drift back into another one. Always trapped. Each dust mote uncommitted to being here or there. Where is there? Where?

I shake my head and wipe the lost expression off my face. Just wasted space. Wasted space, wasted efforts, wasted everything.

Damn barn.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

I have been known to look at crosswords or codewords I've solved (I'm addicted to both) and try to weave a story or at least a piece of writing from the random words it throws up.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
7Princess
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-7princess.html

Post by 7Princess »

I haven't done many Creative Writing exercises (something I hope changes when I take a fiction class) but there is one that I like. I like when you have to write a story based off a, sometimes random, picture.

Return to “Writing Discussion”