Do you spend too much time researching instead of writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Archie Tewksbury
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you spend too much time researching instead of writin

Post by Archie Tewksbury »

when we start referring something to write, we actually waste time on it and finally we will be writing by our self with a little amount from which we have refers. so its a better idea to write by yourself than wasting too much time in referring.
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suetropez »

I don't think that is possible, to spend too much time researching and not enough writing. If you want an idea or point in your book to have credibility or believable, then you need to make sure that you have checked things out first and your facts are true, to some extent. It was hard for me to believe, but I have had readers ask me about characters or words that I have used in my books. They told me they couldn't find it on Google and wanted to know if it was real or not. All I can tell them is, It's make believe.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Most of the time i do which is why it takes me a while to write or finish something i start. I really want to make sure that there are no flaws or i can connect all dots on things i write about.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Traxy
Currently Reading: Breaking Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B004S40V1C

Post by Traxy »

Just this morning when trying to get some writing done, I ended up googling Viennese café culture. I wasn't even at the stage where that was strictly relevant to the story. However, I am still curious about what life was like in cafés in the years following WW2. In the UK things were rationed, so how would you sell cakes to café customers if things like sugar are rationed? Did people have money in order to go to cafés when their city was in ruins?

This is why I imagine it's a lot easier to write about fictional places in unspecified times. You can make things up and get away with it, because while something might not be accurate for real life medieval times, if it's a fantasy world it very well could be. It's your world, your rules.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Nowadays, with the Internet tool at our disposal, it's easy to lose track of time after spending hours and hours browsing several websites and searching for different articles that validate the previous ones. If they refute them, this implies more hours of search and more time that is lost. And, of course, the more attention you give to detail, the worse...
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I often find myself putting a lot of time into researching and overthinking a topic before I actually get to the writing. Perhaps it's my way of procrastinating the writing itself since that's the scariest part to me.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Definitely! I dedicate a whole week for researching before starting to write any book. And even when I do start, I keep researching WHILE writing. Researching is extremely important for a realistic storyline so you're not a lone for sure.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Writing Discussion”