How do I compose a good essay writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
MaryMathis
Bookshelf Size: 0

How do I compose a good essay writing?

Post by MaryMathis »

What are the qualities of a good essay? How can I make it interesting?
JennaNicole
Favorite Author: C.J. Redwine
Favorite Book: Defiance [trilogy]
Currently Reading: The Giver Quartet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennanicole.html

Post by JennaNicole »

Essentially, what I always do, is start out with a general summary of the topic followed by a thesis statement (last sentence of the first paragraph.)
For reference: I read this thing. This thing was about this person (1) who began like his. This thing (a) happened and changed this person(1) because of how this thing (a) played out. This person (2) was against this person (1) from doing the thing they were trying to accomplish. {thesis} I did/ not like this thing BECAUSE of this thing, for example, this thing.
Obviously, it shouldn't be like this, but as I don't know what you're essay is about (hopefully something interesting, I hate writing essays on a topic that I don't like or don't understand!), I couldn't be more detailed. Sorry ):.
Then you should go on to your body paragraphs which are usually three to five paragraphs, unless there are specified length requirements. The body paragraphs should each have a reason supporting your thesis, and should have at least one to three examples a paragraph. Don't forget specific page numbers (if a book), name of website (Not the full address), etc.
Your conclusion should give a summary of your body paragraphs, similar to the introduction, but this time don't summarize the topic of the essay. Again, it's a summary of your essay. It should say why your essay was important and what made your perspective valid.

How you could make it interesting could be to really understand what your topic is. Is it an opinion? Are you trying to give information? Understand the topic, research it if you have to. If it's an opinion, know the main (most valid) arguments and disprove it. Usually, this can be most persuasive if you don't use the words "I, me, my, you, your, they, their" etc. if you want to give an example, you could use "one" to replace "you".
Also, you should describe everything. I read an article once (I cannot give it to you, as I am still considered a new member, but if you google search it, it'll come up, I'm sure) and it had 300+ fantastic words for several situations that could make your essay many times better right away.

I hope this helped, I write my essays using these guidelines and it hasn't failed me yet! Best of luck with your future essay writing.
Sarah Delk

Post by Sarah Delk »

Your article is too informative. In fact i depended on one of the recommended essay writing services and after my deal, i was in need of know about the service.Just a fear that there are lots of services that are genuine and as well as scam. But it's in fact very hard to recognize the genuine one. I have checked this info right now, else i could try out doing my own. Thanks for sharing such a good info.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

It would also depend on the target audience and the purpose of the essay. If it is for school or an academic journal or something professional, then there are certain guidelines to follow... like you generally don't use first person and you have to use a certain citation style and whatnot.
Clydevazquez

Post by Clydevazquez »

Firstly make an idea you would like to write about your topic . Always you need to focus on the backbone of your essay. It should contain an introduction part first. You need to spend some time thinking about how to organize your ideas.Always Introduction part has to be perfect and clear because as we all knows first impression is the best impression. This is the first thing that the examiner will always read.

Second one is the first sentences of each paragraph: this point must be very clear. They should identify exactly what that paragraph is about and shows how it relates to the rest of the essay.

Lastly it should contain a conclusion. This is the easiest part of the essay normally. Most often, all you need to do is go back to the introduction and rephrase it.

Take a few minutes to re-read your essay after completing. Correct grammatical mistakes, check to see that you have answered all parts of the question properly.
Archie Tewksbury

Post by Archie Tewksbury »

To compose a good essay first you need to collect all the required information for it and now start stitching it together in a best manner.
kelvindas19

Post by kelvindas19 »

a good essay is what describe the subject well with accurate words. It have to be as informative as possible. So the reader can get connected with the essay.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Write it as though you are talking to someone (one person) and you have only once chance to convince them of what you are saying, and that your life depends upon them accepting what you have to say. There's nothing like a gun pointed at one's nose to turn a blithering idiot into a Shakespeare.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Writing Discussion”