How much did you write today?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Mariah Porter
Favorite Author: Shannon Hale
Favorite Book: Goose Girl and the Fablehaven series
Currently Reading: Mistborn+Sky Jumpers+Wild Swans
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4972

Re: How much did you write today?

Post by Mariah Porter »

Well, yesterday I got four thousand words written and I wasn't even home until 4 or 5 in the afternoon, /and/ I had other priorities. Today I've hardly written a thousand words so far, which means I really need to get to it, because I need to finish NaNoWriMo!
happyhealthycitizen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happyhealthycitizen.html

Post by happyhealthycitizen »

Wrote a short story today, just over 1000 words. It's the first thing I've written and finished in about a year. Tragic.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Mariah Porter wrote:Well, yesterday I got four thousand words written and I wasn't even home until 4 or 5 in the afternoon, /and/ I had other priorities. Today I've hardly written a thousand words so far, which means I really need to get to it, because I need to finish NaNoWriMo!
Keep it up!

I didn't write anything except maybe a million words on this forum. Ha!
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Well, not a lot yet today -- girlfriend & I took our little kitty Bobby to the vet (he's okay!) and then did some Krogering. GF is fighting a bad cold or flu (I got my shot, she kept putting it off) and so I've been nursemaiding her the past few days -- nothing big but hugs and fixing her some tea and soup and running to Walgreen for cough syrup and whatever. Plus I had some stuff done on my car -- the passenger electric window went dead so the shop replaced the motor, and all sorts of small stuff that needed to be done at home -- with my GF sick, I get the overrun of chores, as it should be. So real life stuff intervenes upon the writing, and it should.

I did however write my signature on the back of the check I got for selling my short horror story. Endorsing a "pay to the order of" check is always fun writing!

This evening, I'm continuing the re-start of the horror novel that I put aside when I was writing my 3rd private eye novel. Now that the PI novel is finished, I'll get back to the supernatural and my semi-Lovecraftian scary book.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

The holidays are getting in the way of my writing. Holidays always throw me off. I like to have a block of time to write when I write and there is always something to do that is a priority during the holidays. Hopefully after the holidays, I'll be able to get back to having time to spend writing.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Holidays are throwing me off as well! I took some time off at the end of November/beginning of December, and another few days this past weekend just to try and use up all of my paid vacation days before my contract ends. I thought having more free time with no plans would give me more time to write, but instead, I couldn't get myself motivated enough. I think having a consistent schedule is better for me.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Regardless of a tight or loose schedule, it's a good idea to write each day, even if it's just a teeny bit. Or, even if you're not actually "writing" to think about your latest writing and ponder what sort of new stuff you will be writing soon.

For example, in my new in-progress thriller, while waiting for my girlfriend to pick up a few things at the drugstore, I thought about the novel and created a new "family" of characters -- a woman who, as a teen, had a fling with what turns out to be the demonically possessed body of that boyfriend. Now, she's in her 50s, has been married for ages to a really great guy, and then her grown son, who just retired from the Army after 3 tours in Afghanistan. This son will become one of the band of people to fight the supernatural menace. Having him an experienced vet, I can use him to lead a raid, or defend a home, and who knows weapons and is a fierce fighter.

So all this concept was buzzing my my brain for about 30min till my girlfriend did her shopping. And when we got home, that evening I sat and wrote out 2 chapters introducing this small family of 3, and tweaked the narrative rough outline for my novel.

My point being, a non-flexible schedule may get in your way. If you (the "group" you -- not a certain person here) try to force yourself into writing a certain number of words, you may get bored with the writing and discard it. If I impose an artificial deadline on myself, I get chafing in the harness. My writing creativity doesn't run on a clock schedule -- I write when I feel like it. So sometimes I might churn out 5000 words in one session, and on other days, I don't touch the project except to think about it.

Better to have a flexible "goal" that isn't based on a word count. After all, most prominent writers do not work at actual writing each day. Instead they may be out and about, etc. So my "schedule" is to do SOMETHING on my novel each day, even if it's to sit back and relax and think about where my book is headed. I therefore channel my energies on a flextime basis, writing when I wish, maybe not every day, but still, to do some "work" on the project, even if it's just thinking about it.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

No schedule for me again, but I somehow managed to write a bunch in a story I didn't even intend to write. At least it's something!
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Yesterday I was struck by some tragic news. This morning I woke up with this nagging voice in the back of my head. I began my second short story today. I wrote until I couldnt figure out where to take the story. I got in the shower and the day began and Ive been doing mental yoga with the story line adding and subtracting to figure out my next step.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Andreas107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreas107.html

Post by Andreas107 »

I have plans to write, but I haven't gotten to it yet!
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Andreas107 wrote:I have plans to write, but I haven't gotten to it yet!
Well if it makes you feel better, you did just write something :dance:

Me Im stuck on the theme for the Short Story contest and have now started my third story. The one I wrote earlier is developing into a bit of a sci-fi and Im stuck, but its turning into an interesting story. I took a break went for a walk and a different story popped into my mind that could fit the theme if I can work it correctly.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

That's great you're doing the contest! I thought about and them had to face realities that I can't write short stories. So instead I wrote a long Facebook note for my family. Only that. And three pages of a memoir detailing some pretty horrible events I experienced. Ugh.
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

ALynnPowers wrote:That's great you're doing the contest! I thought about and them had to face realities that I can't write short stories. So instead I wrote a long Facebook note for my family. Only that. And three pages of a memoir detailing some pretty horrible events I experienced. Ugh.
Truth be told, I dont know if I can write either. Ive always wanted to be a writer. I have these pictures (parts of a story really) that pop into my head and they nag me until I get them out.

Hope you are able to work through what you need to....Like Shrek says "Better out than in!" :happy-bouncyredfire:
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, with the holidays, my girlfriend & I were out and about, visiting friends, partying here and there, and enjoying ourselves (and 2 cats) at home, so my writing has sagged accordingly.

Nevertheless, I've got my "fevered brain" buzzing with all sorts of story ideas to fit into my new in-progress supernatural thriller novel, little plot twists and new characters and new situations to dump in my characters' laps. So my mind has been busy if the keyboard hasn't.

Some New Year's celebration today, and then it's back to the grindstone.

As I've said (and recommend), never set specific words-per-day quotas. That's an artificial mode and can lead to frustration and unwilling writer's block, or at perhaps the worst, lead you to writing junk just to fill the quota. Far better to promise yourself to do "something" each day, whether to ponder a new plot twist, maybe do some internet researching for your writing project, but without an artificially imposed quota or word count.

Realize this: REAL writers (professional writers who make their actual living on their writing, the top of the heap) -- these people don't force themselves to write toward an artificial goal. But they do work on a solid and genuine schedule, such as "5 hours a day, 5 days a week" or similar. So long as you're making some progress and not spinning your wheels, that's good.

Of course, if you're engaged in a contest or some sort of challenge, like the NaNo-whatever thingie, then you may wish to set a word-per-day goal. Just realize that in many cases, pushing yourself for a high word count isn't always going to produce a book that gets sold to a publisher.
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Im really just doing it for fun and to challenge myself. No pressure to write a certain number of words.

Return to “Writing Discussion”